crizlok87

Remote Control in console via FQDN

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my remote control in SCCM 2012 console.

If I click on a Device Start --> Remote Control, it tries to start a RC-Session using the hostname.

But the hostname cannot be resolved and it is not possible to add all the hostnames into the hostfile.

Is it possible to tell the sccm-console to use the full qualified domain name, like hostname.domain.com?

Because when I set up the connection manually using CmRcViewer.exe it works with hostname, IP and FQDN.

I'd be glad about any kind of ideas or solutions :-)

Greetings, Chris

I am also interested to know if there is a way for SCCM to use FQDN. Our environment has many child domains. We have to add each domain to the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" section of TCP/IP settings of your network adapter. I think (but haven't been able to find documentation) that there is a character limit to this list.

We have to frequently change the domains in our list so I keep the most common ones and change the odd ones when needed.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SearchList"="CommonDomain.org,YourDomain.org,MyDomain.org,OddDomain.org"

But the hostname cannot be resolved and it is not possible to add all the hostnames into the hostfile.

can you explain why it cannot be resolved, and why you cannot add the hostnames into a hostfile ?

you can launch the Remote Control Viewer from start menu and then choose option from pull down menu to Connect using once of the following; NetBIOS, FQDN, IP address.

Yes, this feature I already know, thanks anyway :-)

Because of this feature, I thought, that it must be possible to use RC using the SCCM-console by right-click on the client. This would be more comfortable than typing in every single client.

can you explain why it cannot be resolved, and why you cannot add the hostnames into a hostfile ?

It is because of our internal infrastructure and policies.