BrianGW

Software Updates and Server 2008 Core

Hello everyone!

I am having an issue and was hoping that someone here could help with. I have been searching for an answer but have not come up with anything concrete or that I fully trust. So if this has already been addressed on this forum and I haven't found it, I do apologize.

I currently have a SCCM 2012 SP1 environment. I have created a Software Update group and published it to all of my servers. The updates have worked on all of my standard (full gui) servers without an issue. I have made them just available in some cases and some were required and they all went off without a hitch. I now am having to tackle our Hyper-V hosts, which are in clusters and are Server 2008 R2 core. I have made the updates available to them but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to install. I have confirmed that the servers are reporting that do have the client installed, active and are approved.

This is what my research has turned up.

1. I have both Core Config and S Config but neither one works. I didn't expect it to but I also figured it could be a shot in the dark that worked. None of them find updates that are good to go.
  2. I read that you can manually run the SCClient.exe from C:\Windows\CCM but that just produced an error. Further research revealed to me that this should work in Server 2012 core because that has .NET installed on it.
  3. I then found this post... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e0b6d7c3-a199-4f1e-aff5-60ba17fcef43/install-patches-from-sccm-2012-on-windows-server-core but it is looking for the updates in the CCMCache folder, which appears to be empty.
  4. I found another script (whose link I seem to have misplaced at the moment) that is a powershell and a vbs script that is supposed to go through and install everything, but it doesn't give any word as to whether or not the systems reboot immediately or if that script actually fully works.

When I run Compliance reports on the server, it says that it is out of compliance and it will mark off all of the approved updates that are not installed. So from what I can tell the server knows that it is missing updates.

The only other potential idea that I had was in Client Settings, under Software Updates, change Enable software updates on clients from Yes to No. I am hoping this allows the SCCM client to continue managing all aspects of the server that I configure except for the Windows Updates. I know that I basically lose control of updates so to speak, but that is not a huge deal for us.

Any assistance at all would be appreciated.

Thank you.