murda

Creating a base vista image

Question

Hi,

I just installed Vista Enterprise from DVD.

I configured some options like language,keyboard layout, desktop image and so on...

I copied the prepped profile towards the default profile. (also tested to see if it worked when i logged in with another account)

Next step was creating a capture media cd for my laptop and a hour later my system was captured.

I configured the captured vista.wim file in sccm and build a TS with the captured image.

So far so good and the TS has been applied towards the laptop and was fully installed from SCCM deploy.

Now i see that i forgot to set the IE options: homepage & proxy etc...

Can I fix this without rebuilding a new image? Can it be fixed with an unattend.xml, this can be set in the TS - apply operating system - use an unattend file ... for custum installation ?

Hmm how can I disable windows vista performance check because it runs everytime when I deploy a Vista image.

Anyone, didn't find very usefull information on the internet.

Problem is when I deploy a base vista Image and the TS applied a the vista OS, it does a Vista performance check which is time consuming.

You can manually press "ALT+F4" but that requires interaction from a user.

Anyone, didn't find very usefull information on the internet.

Problem is when I deploy a base vista Image and the TS applied a the vista OS, it does a Vista performance check which is time consuming.

You can manually press "ALT+F4" but that requires interaction from a user.

If you really want to work with an xml file you can ad it in the task sequence in the Apply Operating System section.

It works in my case

We have some developers who want to work with a qwerty keyboard.

Just create a package and give it a distribution point, do not put it in Programs.

Example in the screen shot.

post-2136-1244750389_thumb.jpg

If you really want to work with an xml file you can ad it in the task sequence in the Apply Operating System section.

It works in my case

We have some developers who want to work with a qwerty keyboard.

Just create a package and give it a distribution point, do not put it in Programs.

Oké, but If my issue can be solved with an XML. What option do I need to choose in WAIK so that the performance check doesn't happen anymore when I deploy towards a system?

whatever you can see in unattend.xml or sysprep.inf should be able to be substituted as a collection variable as long as you do a Gather (ztigather) beforehand and Configure (zticonfigure) afterwards

both scripts are part of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and already present in a standard MDT task sequence

start your testing by doing TimeZone first, then when you have it working, expand by adding one more variable at a time,

here are the values for timezone by the way (scroll down)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772783.aspx

cheers

anyweb

Ok lets assume the following. I've created a Answer file with WAIK and have the followoing type in:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>nl-BE</UILanguage> 
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0813:00000813</InputLocale> 
<SystemLocale>0409</SystemLocale> 
<UILanguageFallback>nl-BE</UILanguageFallback> 
<UserLocale>0813</UserLocale> 
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://servername/sccm/captures/buildvista.wim#1" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> 
</unattend>

Then the following can be modified if we use variables:

<InputLocale>%OSDInputLocale%</InputLocale> 
<SystemLocale>%OSDSystemLocale%</SystemLocale> 
<UILanguageFallback>nl-BE</UILanguageFallback> 
<UserLocale>%OSDUserLocale%</UserLocale>

I assume this is what we need to do if we use the varibales from the collection.

Then my last question about the answer file is the last line in the xml file: <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://servername/sccm/captures/buildvista.wim#1" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

Do we have to remove this line, or can we just leave it? This line is automatically created when we import the WIM image into WAIK for making an answer file.