blah blah blah

Getting error when refreshing xp to 7

Question

hi guys

i'm doing a lab from the book System Center 2012 Configuration Manager: Mastering the Fundamentals by Kent Agerlund, and in it, there is a refresh to win 7 from xp lab using mdt integraated with config manger. I'm following the instructions exactly, but everytime i run the task sequence to install the os, im getting an error even before getting to boot to winpe. Everything seems to be running fine, but then the task sequence errors out with this message

Task Sequence: Windows 7 ent x64 has failed with the error code (0x0000264C). For more information, contact your system administrator or helpdesk operator.

Then in Software Center I see this error

Error: 0x4005(16389)

I examined the smsts log and only see this error

Error getting system isolation info. Code 8027000C
Remediation failed. Code 8027000C
Remediation failed with error code 8027000c

researching the error codes i dont find a lot of information, suggesting maybe it could be a driver issue. i didn't add any drivers to my boot image but I was able to get into winpe before and it was the same task sequence using the same boot image so i'm unsure if thats the reason for the error

im using vmware workstation 9 and sccm 2012 sp 1. thanks to anybody that can help

EDIT*

Ok i resolved the above issue (memory wasn't set correctly)

but now im booting in win pe and getting "unable to read task sequence configuration disk" and navigating to smsts log i see error failed to find the configuration path error 80070003

One person resolved it by updating the bios but im not sure if that is the issue

3 answers to this question

To help with troubleshooting you can do the following:

In windows explorer go to the root of your deployment share and make a folder called Logs. Share the Logs folder.

In MDT go to your Rules (customsettings) and add the following code in. You will need to change the server name and path.

SLShareDynamicLogging=\\mdtserver\mdtsharename$\Logs

Refresh your Deployment share.

Now go to your LOGS folder and watch for a file that gets created in real time called BBD.log. You will need to keep the log open while your deployment is in action. This may help you see where exactly it is failing and why.

Also for best viewing results you will probably want to use the TRACE32.exe file. It even highlights the errors for you!

This tool is free and located in the file ConfigMgrToolsVersion 2 Toolkit!. Google search it.

Good Luck

G

but now im booting in win pe and getting "unable to read task sequence configuration disk" and navigating to smsts log i see error failed to find the configuration path error 80070003

try running diskpart on the virtual machine disk (or real hard disc) and create a primary partition, format it

like so (in WinPE), warning this will wipe anything on the selected disk !

diskpart

then

clean
cre par pri
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

once done, reboot and try the task sequence again