Fraeco

SCCM and SCSM on thesame server?

Question

Hi,

I currently run a small scale SCCM 2012 setup for our environment (~150 devices).

We're going to try out Service Manager for our helldesk setup. More importantly we'd like to start with request management and incident management. It would be nice to leverage the info CM gathered from our assets in SM. That's why we're looking to SM firstly.

My question, is it smart, or possible to install CM and SM on the same server? This server already setup with the SQL server and such. Or do I install the SM logic on a new server, and point it to the database on the SCCM box?

Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

Hi Fraeco,

I am not a Service Manager expert, but I don't think it is recommended (or supported in a Production environment) to have these 2 systems co-exist. Additionally, Service Manager is one of the larger products, and requires multiple servers. My suggestion would be to design and build your Service Manager environment on its own dedicated servers, so that you can more easily expand it later if you need to.

Ok. Given the fact that we have a virtualized environment I'm not going to taunt Murphy and keep my services on seperate boxes.

However, would it be possible to keep all the databasing on one and the same SQL server? I could juice up that box if need be, but then I wouldn't have an explosion of SQL Server instances on my network.

edit: According to this thread it should be possible to recycle the SQL server, as long as I create new instances when required

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/4bcf4269-c603-4207-a2db-ac20dd8e1346/all-dbs-on-a-sql?forum=setup