Kakeshoma

Software updates - ADR vs DP vs SUP

Hi,

Ive been searching all over the place to find out how these things work, but I still cant wrap my head around it.

I hope some of you are able to guide me in plain text :)

Question is; what is the relation between ADRs, Deployment packages, all software updates and software update groups, and what is their individual role?

Im going to set up auto-updating of Win 8 clients for patch tuesdays.

Ive read the guides on this site, but dont quite get the details...

Thanks in advance.

My rookie attempt at explaining this in simple terms:

All Software Updates: Lists all the updates available in your configmgr environment

Software Update Groups: You can select multiple updates from "all software updates" and create a group that you can deploy to collections.

Deployment Packages: You create deployment packages when you "download" or "deploy" the Software Update Group. The package gets distributed to the DPs.

ADRs: Automates the process of manually creating software update groups, deployment packages and deployments.

Thanks, appreciate it! I think I got a fairly good understanding of it now.

I have a updating scheme thought out, just wondering what you guys would say about it..

This is for Win 8 clients.

1 ADR for Patch Tuesday (or last months updates) that runs every month with new SUGs every month (for compliance reporting)

1 ADR for All updates that are not superseded for clients that are being deployed or are for some reason out of band (latter will not happen much in our environment...) that runs the week before the next PT (or 3 weeks after if you will)

Thats so the up-to date clients will always use the PT package, while others that need updates from farther back will use the "baseline" package...

Would this be an acceptable approach in a production environment? Or rather, is there any good reason not to do it this way? From what I can see this would fit our environment well in terms of administration and compliance...