Anthony Mel

Deploy Windows 8.1 Ent. to Windows 8 Ent. Machines

I really don't see much information on this yet around the web but can you deploy Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 8 Enterprise machine so they are upgraded.

Right now my thinking is to create a package that contains the source files from the Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO. Then for the program use setup.exe /auto:upgrade as the command. Its just that this would be a 4GB deploy. Is there a update going around that would just contain the update bits not the whole OS?

Yup all I did was run setup.exe /auto:upgrade and it ran silently in the background. Restarted the computer a few times and loaded 8.1. As for the start screen you can do that after the fact with group policy. I did run a PowerShell script that unprovisions certain apps. So if you have never logged on before your start screen basically has the store, desktop, IE, and file explorer titles. Everything else is under the all apps view. I don't mind the start screen getting personalized by users, not too much craziness can happen there right now.