thepede

PXE boot problems

Question

Hello, the guides were awesome as usual. I made it through the guide for deploying XP and everything went well except my client connecting to the server. I have checked the troubleshooting Windows PE booting guide and am still stumped. The furthest I have made it so far is to Contacting Server where it will sit and continue to fill the screen with dots until I shut the machine off. I checked the logs for smspxe.log and the server is seeing the client connect and soon after it says "Device has been accepted" and for each connection attempt on the client a new acceptance log message appears. I have so far been unable to find any errors for SCCM or WDS. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

9 answers to this question

this could be related to your dhcp server, your WDS server setup or DNS issues,

so to try them all do a DNS lookup test, type

nslookup and verify the results are ok

for wdsserver you must have the wdsserver 'service' listed in one of the share permissions, check the remoteinstall share on your server and verify the permissions on that share, if you do not see WDSServer listed then you'll have to uninstall wds servvice, reboot, delete remoteinstall folder, and finally reinstall wds service

where is your dhcp server located, on the SCCM server or on another box..... if on another box you may need to configure option 66, 67 or using IP helpers,

i've seen your problem before so we will solve it,

cheers

anyweb

After running nslookup and querying my server it was not resolving correctly. I was able to fix that and DNS is looking correct now. Still hanging on contacting server through PXE unfortunately.

WDSServer was listed with full rights for my RemoteInstall share.

I am running DHCP on the same server as SCCM

look at this

Contacting Server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) .....

the dots go on forever and your SMSPXE.log on the server will say things like Device has been accepted but nothing else to give you a clue as to what is actually wrong,

the solution in my case was to reset the PASSWORD in AD users and computers for the user i specified in the MDT VBS filter (SMSinstall)

once done, error gone

sound familiar ??

I changed the password for my account specified in WDS PXE filter but still wasn't working.

I decided to try reinstalling WDS and I have made some progress not sure if it's forward or backward. After getting the message that it's contacting the server I'm given a message to press F12 for network service boot which I though was great. Until it got to the installation and gave me Longhorn Server images to choose from instead of kicking off my XP boot image.

Any further help is appreciated. Thanks

that means the client hasnt been imported into sccms database yet

so... use computer association to import the pc using its mac address

then try pxe boot again

Deleted the machine from the collection and imported again using the MAC address. Now I am getting the following.

Download WDSNBP…

Architecture x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot

request for this computer Please provide these details to your

Windows Deployment Services Administrator so the this request can be

approved.

Pending Request ID: 5

Contacting Server: 192.168.1.2

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device….

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.

Selected boot device not available

I have made sure my Advertised task sequence is set to run as soon as possible, but still no luck. Nothing is populating in the machines PXE Advertisement.

I did thank you, what I had forgot was to add the boot.wim and install.wim from my 2008 server CD. After doing so I it starts to load files and comes up with the following.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File : \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Finally I have it working......what a relief!!! After many install's of PSP and WDS I took a closer look at my server properties in WDS for Boot. Before I had been using the pxeboot.n12 file from the SMSBoot\x86\ folder. I decided to try something different and choose the wdsnbp.com file instead and now I am connected and capturing my first image!!! Thanks for your help anyweb, cheers.