murda

OSD Deploying office 2007 + language packs

Question

Hi,

The OSD deployment with Office integrated is giving me a headache.

I have an Office 2007 Enterprise folder and I copied the following language packs (NL&FR) into the root of the Office folder but I didn't overwrite the setup.exe in the root. (the rest of the files won't overwrite)

The Office folder is on my SCCM server and for testing purpose I triggered the following commands to install Office and a language pack on my client laptop before proceeding with SCCM.

For installing Office 2007 I made a MSP file and edited the config.xml in the enterprise.ww folder and placed them both in the root of my Office 2007 folder. I renamed the config.xml file because there are more config.xml files in my Office root, so its called : config_full.xml.

The .msp file that I created is called full_silent.msp

Office 2007 switch: "\\server\office 2007\setup.exe" /config config_full.xml /adminfile full_silent.msp

Office 2007 NL language File: "\\server\office 2007\setup.exe" /config config_nl.xml

All this has been tested and the silent install works flawless when I trigger this from my client.

It also works if I send it as an advertisement in SCCM towards the Client and this also worked.

Alright time to make a software package for Office 2007 full and Office 2007 NL Language.

Software package are been set as:

- UNC source

- Commandline for office Full: "setup.exe" /config config_full.xml /adminfile full_silent.msp

- Commandline for office language pack: "setup.exe" /config config_nl.xml

- run: hidden

- after running: no action required

- program can run whether or not a user is logged in and run with admin credentials

- Drive mode: run with UNC name

- Allow this program to be installed from the Install Software task sequence without being advertised.

Then I wanna try to deploy it with my OSD.:

Edited a working TS with a vista OSD and added the 2 software packages

Making an advertisment towards a collection:

- available for boot media & pxe boot

- include member of subcollection

- schedule mandatory - high etc...

- Distibution point tab: download content locally when needed by running TS

TS works for the office 2007 install but it fails on the next step when trying to install the Office 2007 NL Language pack

Any suggestions ? :(

6 answers to this question

have you tried adding a Restart step in the Task sequence between the office install and sp2

Actually, I didn't.

You know why?

Because I installed Office 2007 on my client and after that I installed the Office 2007 NL language pack and it didn't required a reboot.

So my idea was to deploy the software packages in a TS without restart because the manual installation didn't require a reboot to be fully functional.

Maybe it needs a restart in the Task Sequence, just like you suggested. Because whole the Office 2007 folder gets downloaded towards the client. Then it begins to install the Office 2007.

After that, the task sequence downloads again the whole Office 2007 folder for installing the Office 2007 NL Language pack.

I'll try to add a restart between the 2 software packages and i'll post my result tomorrow.

ps: another thing I don't like is that the office folder gets downloaded twice. (4GB folder) Don't know if I can seperate the Office Language pack from the original Office 2007 install to minimize the deployment time ...

yes you can make separate packages for the language packs and the office 2007 pack, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of bandwidth

yes you can make separate packages for the language packs and the office 2007 pack, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of bandwidth

Oké, I placed the language packs in a seperate folder.

The commands in the command line are now:

language pack: setup.exe

Office 2007 : setup /adminfile office_silent.msp

Config.xml for language pack is placed in root folder. Setup.exe will automaticly check if there is a "config.xml" in your root folder and will use it without additional switch in the command line.

This for an advertisement run from cache mode instead of DP. (download local)

If you wanna run the advertisement from a DP. Then you have to adjust your commandline and add a path where your config or .msp file is located.

eg: Run from the dp

setup.exe /adminfile \\server\sourcefiles\office\office_silent.msp

Btw: small question: If I put the manual downloaded updates from office2007 in the "updates" folder. Will they automaticly apply when installing office?

Answer : Yes, just tested :)

good work Murda

now I have a challenge for you, using what you have learned about deploying Office 2007, document the steps to do it here in a new Topic so that others may learn, please include screenshots

cheers

anyweb

good work Murda

now I have a challenge for you, using what you have learned about deploying Office 2007, document the steps to do it here in a new Topic so that others may learn, please include screenshots

cheers

anyweb

No problem, its much easier to understand with screenshot.

I will not to go to far in detail about xml options for office 2007. I'll most a link on technet with the available options and configurations.

I hope to have it finished till the end of next week.

grtz.