bkay

SCCM 2012 R2 upgrade broken WDS/PXE

I can confirm that the removal of the Console immediately worked for me. No reboot needed. I just opened wds console and right clicked, all tasks, start and the the service is up and running. Installed the console on another machine temporarily. Not ideal since i like to admin on the Configmgr 2012R2 box in my test lab. Still haven't tested deployment of OS yet. In additon i would like to mention that I was never able to get WSUS working with my local SQL. Tried all sorts of permissions, added and removed WSUS, Sync kept failing, errors in wcm.log. Tried the wsus console config (even though your supposed to stop at product config). Nothing worked. I switched to WID and things are fine.

Not pleased by all of these "gotcha's". Inadequate testing (yes, i know many people have unique setups) seems to be a defining quality of MS especially after several poor patch Tuesdays. My advice would be to stay at SP1 CU3 until the bugs are worked out.

After trying all of the other suggestions in this and other threads this worked for me.

Uninstalled the management console and rebooted - Removed PXE and WDS and rebooted - installed WDS and rebooted - Initialised WDS and set the reminst path - Enable PXE on the DP. I also removed a customised boot image from some of the task sequences and used the default x64 one.

Thanks D3w4yne.

Haven't had any problems on my primary site server, but had this issue with a remote DP. Followed these instructions minus removing custom boot images. Worked like a charm.

U can find the fix here.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/117/A-Geeks-Guide-for-upgrading-to-ConfigMgr-2012-R2-and-MDT-2013.aspx

nu "Failed to start WDS service
Library path mismatch:
Finding Wimgapi.Dll
MsiEnumRelatedProducts failed
FindProduct failed; 0x80070103
MsiEnumRelatedProducts failed
FindProduct failed;
Found C:\Windows\system32\wimgapi.dll
SetNamedSecurityInfo() failed.
SetObjectOwner() failed.
SetFileSecurity() failed.

Reinstalling Wimgapi from \configmgr\wim\wimgapi.msi on the site server solved the issue..

We had an external consultant in to perform our upgrade about 6 weeks ago. Everything seemed to go well with the single exception that one of the Task Sequences was broken in one of our primary sites ( our SCCM environment has 3 primary sites )

We did a number of tests making little changes to the TS and repeatedly deploying it until, one morning about 3 weeks after the upgrade, all machines refused to PXE boot. Turns out WDS was no longer installed on the main server. Attempting to re-enable it causes the console to crash and the role is not installed.

We logged a case with MS who are still working on it. It appears to be SQL related and, since then, our DB has grown tenfold to the point where it is now 500gb in size and constantly swallowing any space we give it.

This morning, another of our primary sites has fallen over. WDS has uninstalled itself and machines in this site wont PXE boot.

I haven't attempted any troubleshooting yet as I need to push it back to the consultant who did the install and don't want to be accused of making changes which broke things. However, I'd be interested to see if anyone has seen anything similar?