leusa

Deploy Patches to Clients

Hello everybody

i'm a bit comfused about the deployment from Software Updates.

My problem is to unterstand how i have to configure the Collections and all the other things i need for the monthly deployment of patches.

and how i have to deploy the patches to new installed Clients

1. i would like to deploy all approved Patches to the new installed Clients. (via Tasksequence? how have i to configure that?)

2. Approve all Patches zu a group of test Clients / Server. What is the best workaround? different Collections? :-/

3. Approve all tested Patches to the Prod Clients

could you give me some advise?

Many thanks

Typically you're going to create auto deployment rules that target a collection, and you will choose how frequently and what updates get pushed to which clients and then let that do all the work. Make sure to choose "Add to existing software update group" otherwise it'll create many many update groups.

You are going to make multiple collections based on what they need. So for newly installed clients you would put a "windows update" step in the task sequence when building out, otherwise it'll get the updates eventually. You have to play around with how many updates get put into a task sequence as sometimes it needs lots of reboots between updates.

For "test" pushes, typically you have an IT test machine collection or similar and you would make an automatic deployment rule targeted at that collection just earlier than other machines, so the entire company would get updates a week or two after the rule runs for the IT test group

Your normal "all patches" can go out to whatever "main" collection you want, just make an auto deploy rule to target that.