rbreneman

WDS Service crashing, not starting - SCCM 2012 R2

Question

I've been beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out with no success, hoping someone can shed some light.

Environment:

Server 2012 Standard, x64 (Running on Hyper-V 2012)

SQL 2008 R2

SCCM 2012 R2

Recent tasks (in this order)

Installed, tested, and uninstalled UIUSD (Universal Imaging Utility) trial, no problems with install or uninstall.

I installed CU3 update to SCCM 2012 SP1

I uninstalled ADK 8.0

I installed ADK 8.1

I installed SCCM 2012 R2

Ran windows and microsoft updates

I did the upgrade to 2012 R2 to start testing some windows 8.1 deployments. In the midst of trying to get 8.1 deployments working I rebooted the server. Now the Windows Deployment Services Server service won't start. (See attached results from SMSPXE.log)

When the service is trying to start, as soon as it hits that last line (Loaded D:\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment...wimgapi.dll) I get Error: 1067 The process terminated unexpectedly.

Windows Application Event Log shows Event 1000: Application Error, Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WDSServer, version: 6.2.9200.16420. Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version 6.2.9200.16579

Things I have tried doing to fix the problem:

• Remove boot files from D:\RemoteInstall\SMSImages
  • Re-distribute boot images from SCCM
  • Remove all modules and drivers from boot images, and re-distribute
  • Remove PXE role from DP, delete RemoteInstall folder, reboot, add pxe role, reboot.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I've exhausted my google searching abilities. If anyone has suggestions of something to try I would appreciate it.

Thanks

post-21893-0-47401600-1383074409_thumb.jpg

I am experiencing the same issue after an Upgrade from ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2 to R2. The WDS service was running fater the upgrade but PXE would hang trying o load \smsboot\boot.sdi. I tried to restart the WDS service and got the same message as you. My log also looks the same. I rebooted and the WDS service still will not start. I have not spent any more time on it yet but if I find te resolution I will post it here.

This was logged in the Admin log under Deployment-Services-Diagnostics before I restarted WDS:

The Following Client failed TFTP Download:

Client IP: x.x.x.x

Filename: \SMSBoot\boot.sdi

ErrorCode: 5006

File Size: 3170304

Client Port: 14145

Server Port: 56290

Variable Window: false

Here is whats logged in the app log when the WDS service fails to start:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: svchost.exe_WDSServer

P2: 6.2.9200.16420

P3: 505a9a4e

P4: ntdll.dll

P5: 6.2.9200.16579

P6: 51637f77

P7: c0000005

P8: 000000000001af08

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_svchost.exe_WDSS_d3569a994248de8bc7363e9d6c83feaef59485_15fdef6c

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: d365f71a-417f-11e3-9410-005056834a51

Report Status: 4

Hashed bucket:

Thanks mniccum. Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing this problem.

It appears that I've found a band-aid for now. I spun up a new VM and made it a new distribution point with the PXE role in my SCCM environment. After a few hours of syncing packages, I'm now able to boot from it and run task sequences. It's not a perfect solution, and I would still like to fix my primary server, but at least I have a method to pxe boot and image machines now. This also rules out a corrupted boot image, since creating a new distribution point would have simply copied from the same source.

Perhaps we'll find out more information as more people upgrade to R2.

I found the resolution. Uninstall the console from the server and the WDS service will start.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/117/A-Geeks-Guide-for-upgrading-to-ConfigMgr-2012-R2-and-MDT-2013.aspx

mniccum

Just in case anyone else has this problem, this worked perfectly for me!

Such a strange solution to the error, but works! Thanks guys!

Hi Guys

Or you could reinstall Wimgapi.msi. That solved it for me, so I could keep my PXE and console om the same box

/Persen

Re-installing Wimgapi.msi from SCCM 2012 iso installation.

Thanks Persen,

After week of pain and trying everything that I could find on the web this worked for me.

Thanks again for sharing.