rbreneman

WDS Service crashing, not starting - SCCM 2012 R2

Question

I've been beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out with no success, hoping someone can shed some light.

Environment:

Server 2012 Standard, x64 (Running on Hyper-V 2012)

SQL 2008 R2

SCCM 2012 R2

Recent tasks (in this order)

Installed, tested, and uninstalled UIUSD (Universal Imaging Utility) trial, no problems with install or uninstall.

I installed CU3 update to SCCM 2012 SP1

I uninstalled ADK 8.0

I installed ADK 8.1

I installed SCCM 2012 R2

Ran windows and microsoft updates

I did the upgrade to 2012 R2 to start testing some windows 8.1 deployments. In the midst of trying to get 8.1 deployments working I rebooted the server. Now the Windows Deployment Services Server service won't start. (See attached results from SMSPXE.log)

When the service is trying to start, as soon as it hits that last line (Loaded D:\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment...wimgapi.dll) I get Error: 1067 The process terminated unexpectedly.

Windows Application Event Log shows Event 1000: Application Error, Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WDSServer, version: 6.2.9200.16420. Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version 6.2.9200.16579

Things I have tried doing to fix the problem:

• Remove boot files from D:\RemoteInstall\SMSImages
  • Re-distribute boot images from SCCM
  • Remove all modules and drivers from boot images, and re-distribute
  • Remove PXE role from DP, delete RemoteInstall folder, reboot, add pxe role, reboot.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I've exhausted my google searching abilities. If anyone has suggestions of something to try I would appreciate it.

Thanks

post-21893-0-47401600-1383074409_thumb.jpg

I found the resolution. Uninstall the console from the server and the WDS service will start.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/117/A-Geeks-Guide-for-upgrading-to-ConfigMgr-2012-R2-and-MDT-2013.aspx

mniccum

Thank you so much!!! To totally solve the WDS problem, install the SCCM2012 R2 hotfix ConfigMgr_2012_R2_CU0_KB2910552_ENU