katiedonut

OSD TS Error NotifyProgress received: 24 (Application download failed )

This is for SCCM 2012 R2

I have application installs for my OSD TS and some of the applications won't install. This only happens on a few computers and not all.

Passed in version 8 for ScopeId_1325E843-D080-4FA5-BFC9-3431C74D3351/RequiredApplication_4c176dd2-3302-4d98-9c18-5c072c83530c DCMAgent 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 1272 (0x04F8)

CAppMgmtSDK::GetEvaluationState ScopeId_1325E843-D080-4FA5-BFC9-3431C74D3351/RequiredApplication_4c176dd2-3302-4d98-9c18-5c072c83530c.8 = DownloadFailed DCMAgent 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 1272 (0x04F8)
NotifyProgress received: 24 (Application download failed ) InstallApplication 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 1272 (0x04F8)
Execution status received: 24 (Application download failed ) InstallApplication 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 2128 (0x0850)
App install failed. InstallApplication 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 2128 (0x0850)
Install application action failed: 'application 1'. Error Code 0x80004005 InstallApplication 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 2128 (0x0850)
Install Static Applications failed, hr=0x80004005 InstallApplication 11/15/2013 12:18:24 PM 2128 (0x0850)

In the past I've been having similar problems, can't remember if they were this exact one. Is there anything linking the machines that are failing? Some suggestions/possible workarounds:

1. Is the SCCM client installing ok on these failing machines? Check the ccmsetup.log file . Perhaps post a screenshot of your TS.

2. Just add a comment to the deployment types of the failing applications, this will force a new revision of the app, and that might kick things off.

3. Choose "Download locally" on the Content tab of the DTs.

4. Make copies of the failing apps and distribute them to your DP again. I don't know why this sometimes fixes a broken app since nothing is changed in the source directory.

wow, this is still happening in R2? what i've done in SP1 is instead of using 'applications' in my task sequence, i use 'packages.'

Since using packages in SP1 task sequences, I've had no failures.

my post: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9214-install-applications-failing-in-osd-task-sequences/

Yeah, I'm going to start using packages as well. Too much work in troubleshooting failed app installations in OSD task sequences. Heard from Johan Arwidmark on twitter that he prefers using packages as well because the app model is not really designed to be used in TS.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going to start using packages as well. Too much work in troubleshooting failed app installations in OSD task sequences. Heard from Johan Arwidmark on twitter that he prefers using packages as well because the app model is not really designed to be used in TS.

Saying that the Application model isn't designed to be used in a Task Sequence would not be accurate. Is it buggy? Sure. Did Microsoft think through everything before they implemented it? No. But, that doesn't mean that it wasn't designed for use in a Task Sequence either. The very existence of the Install Application task sequence item type proves that it was intended for this purpose.

One thing that Microsoft left out was the ability to declare a PowerShell execution policy that applies during the Task Sequence. If you don't put in a couple of registry hacks within your Task Sequence, then PowerShell script-based Detection Method rules for your Application Deployment Types will fail.

For what it's worth, I've probably spent a total of 40+ hours (honestly, that is a conservative estimate) working on this issue, and have not come up with any firm answers. In my most recent testing from today, I have discovered that by reverting to an older Build & Capture Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit operating system image (WIM), the Install Application task sequence items in the Deployment task sequence seems to be working successfully. The best I can guess is that there is something inside the newer Build & Capture WIM that is breaking the Install Application task sequence item.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

I've now spent a couple of hours making packages of my OSD apps instead of applications. Works without a hitch so far. I'm still going to use applications when deploying to devices in a full OS, that has never been a problem for me. OSD applications on the other hand, oh brother...