Question

Hey Guys,

This is more than likley going to be one of those super simple moments where I have missed something so apologies in advance.

We have 1 Primary site and several remote DP's connected by slow links. The remote DP's are only DP's. While the Primary site houses everything else. I.e SUP, MP, SCEP etc..

WHAT IS OCCURING.

All clients no matter where they are are going back to primary site flooding the wan links.

WHAT IS CONFIGURED

The SUP site is configured with ADR's and the Software update Packages are deployed to all remote DP's. Status of each remote DP is healthy.

When looking at the WUAhandler.log file I see every bit of traffic going back to the primary site for Software updates and all SCEP updates going to the internet. This is occuring during the the OSD process and after as well.

Basically the questions I have is:

Should all updates be coming from the local DP assuming all my boundaries are set correclty?

If so what would you suggest double checking in the config?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

1 answer to this question

When looking at the WUAhandler.log file I see every bit of traffic going back to the primary site for Software updates and all SCEP updates going to the internet. This is occuring during the the OSD process and after as well.

Personally I feel that this would be correct considering that your WSUS source resides at your PS, thus the reason as to why you see details of the client pointing to yoursiteserver.fqdn.

However i may be wrong.... but digging a liitle deeper into my own scenario, which happens to be the same setup as your own and probably 90%+ of all CM12 Hierarchies these days, I diagonsed the contenttransfermanager.log which I believe handles client download information. If I open any of these logs on a machine at a remote DP site it clearly shows that the client is downloading content from the local DP. just to be sure my SCEP deployment deadline is 12.00 each day and at 12:00 each day it shows the client downloading an ID like so :

Persisted locations for CTM job {252152FA-2E26-4967-A0EF-4CB4ADB1092A}:

(LOCAL) http://remotedp.fqdn/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/81b9be19-49dd-4f1a-ba39-e451d7cfbfec time stamp at 12:00

This must be the daily SCEP definition deployed via ADR?

I maybe wrong on this as I have only really started reading logs....and if I am wrong hopefully some-one else can contribute and elaborate some more on this...

Just a quick question how many clients are at each of the remote DPs? You may consider deploying some MPs out to these sites and throttle the client settings down some so the communication is not as frequent.