SanjuNana

Software Center crashing

Hello all,

I had been working on Windows 8.1 deployment and was going great until I had to take some unexpected time off from work. When I got back, it looked initially like things were progressing along and we were about ready to deploy the new PCs with Windows 8.1, but I noticed that Software Center was crashing.

SCClient has stopped working. Error details below

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: SCClient.exe
Application Version: 5.0.7958.1000
Application Timestamp: 5230d2b7
Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_E1_FROM_ntdll+0x0003C1AC
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 01d7
Additional Information 4: 01d7340064827245f2249cd1f1a7c264

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Initially thought that it was a problem with the .NET framework 3.5, but I've uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times & nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled ccmclient from Primary site several times. Nothing. Note that ccmclient/Software Center are still working on Windows 7 image.

We're at SCCM R2 on all sites, (7958 client version).

(SCNotification will also crash when restarts are pending, if you try to open the restart window. Looks like client is still functioning ok.)

8.1 media; I actually removed the .NET framework install from the task sequence and Software Center is still crashing.

[installing with the following: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:"\\[PATH-TO-WINDOWS-8.1-MEDIA]\sources\sxs" ]

So, I've tried the following:

Installed .NET during install with above. Crash.

Installed .NET after install (both via above and via download from Internet). Crash (both before and after installing .NET)

I'm now starting over from scratch -- I've disabled everything in the OS task sequence other than installing the OS and ConfigManager client. Same issue. Software Center crashes immediately. No .NET 3.5 installed, but I'm sure now that once installed afterward, it'll still crash.

Uninstall/reinstall of SCCM client is also not resolving it (whether push install or manual install from CAS or MP).

Tried both ways - with 'Install all updates' as task sequence and with it disabled. Once imaged, though, updates will also be sent to the machines (as I've had inconsistent results installing updates during OS imaging). I checked Silverlight version and it was a bit off; installed update to latest version - same error.

More error logs:

Application: SCClient.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00000000

Also, interestingly this is only happening on new hardware (we recently got 2 new models of laptop - Dell E7440 and Dell E7240) ... note that both were imaged a week prior with the same image, drivers, task sequence, etc. and were working perfectly. I just imaged a desktop (Dell Optiplex 990) and software center does not crash. I don't have an older model laptop to test with at the moment.

Was out of town for training last week, but the issue is still happening. I'm convinced that it's a .NET Framework error somewhere, but have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

To recap, I have a Windows 8.1 deployment that works prefectly for most of the hardware in the company - Dell Optiplex 980s & 990s, and Latitude E6420s & E6410s, but when the new hardware is imaged (Latitude E7420s and E7440s), it appears to work, but if you try to open an application that uses .NET Framework (SCClient.exe or Powershell ISE are the easist to see) those applications crash.

This happens regardless of whether I install .NET Framework 3.5 on the machines.

I have removed and added back each version of .NET Framework, and the applications still crash. I've tried the .NET Framework Repair tool (version 2), and it did not resolve it. The error is always the above. (Unhandled exception code c0000005)

I'm actually seeing the same problem, however it's slightly different...

It doesn't crash every time Software Center is opened in Windows 8.1, only some of the time. It isn't as debilitating as SanjuNana is describing but it's still something that needs to be addressed before we start a large rollout of 8.1 machines.

We have .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5 installed. I also confirmed that Powershell ISE is crashing too the moment I try to do anything in it. Unlike Software Center, it is completely unusable.

I'll be watching this thread and others. I'll post if I find a workaround or fix unless this has been solved already.