nhottinger

File Copy after msi install

We have packaged an app (easy part) and now need to copy a file to the local pc once the install is complete. Is there an easy way to add a batch file to do this, or some other way to get the file copied over from a shared location once the software package installs?

If you would like to do this via an msi (which makes life extremely easy) I thoroughly recommend this brilliant piece of software that has helped me out countless times - it's called wItem and you can download it from here: http://www.witemsoft.com/

In your case, you could use wItem to create an msi that deploys the file that you want copied and use dependencies in Config manager to chain your first app with it.

ozthe2, We have software to create .msi's (EMCO msi builder) but don't know if I can use that in the same way you are talking. As you saying I should create an msi, package it, create a batch file to copy the file and in the deployment properties of the software, make a dependency to run the batch file once the software is complete? I tried something similar and it never ran the batch file. I'm sure I did something wrong though.

If you are using a packaging program like EMCO you can simply add or replace the file with the editor. You can also save the changes as transforms file (MST), so the original file will not be modified.

This way you can deploy the MSI as regular application without any additional wrapper like batch files or scripts.

Regarding the Task sequences. You have to tick the check box in the deployment/advertisement, which allows the user the run the task sequence from the software center. It's not a default setting.

witem creates an msi for you. Within the witem interface you are able to specify a file or files that you want copied to a location specified by yourself on the local computer - it then adds this to the msi that it builds. It's then very easy to deploy the msi using Config Manager.

I'll try these suggestions. When I used EMCO the other day, I started the monitoring, installed the application, manually copied the file to the location needed, then stopped the monitoring. It created the .msi for me but did not include the file copy for some reason. I'll try again. Thanks for your input.