cgbolton1

Problem with Software Metering on CM2012 R2

I am stuck and I need a bit of assistance as to where to go next. I have a CM12 hierarchy system setup with a CA and a PSS (and a few DP site servers). I am trying to get software metering reports to work and cannot seem to get them to populate with data. It appears that data is being parsed into the SQL database on the PSS because I can query the associated tables in SQL Management Studio and see that data in views such as v_GA_SoftwareUsageData but whenever I run any of the web reports I cannot select dates or software items. I have forced summarization by running runmeteredsumm.exe on the PSS (which hosts it's own SQL server) and I get a response that "Monthly Usage Summary added 105 rows in 1 seconds" so it looks like the data is being retrieved and stored.

The CA is running the Reporting Service Point and it seems to run other reports without issue. I have checked and re-checked that my client policy that enables software metering is setup correctly and deployed to all systems. It is set to collect data every 7 days. I also checked that I have metering rules enabled and also that automatic rule creation has been enabled and it is set to create rules but leave them disabled. I have 8 rules enabled to monitor Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Autodesk AutoCAD.

I could run queries in SQL Management Suite to get the information I am looking for but I would prefer to use the reports web site to allow management to easily retrieve reports. I had this working on CM12 SP1 (so I feel like I have a clue about how to configure this feature) but when we did a fresh install of R2 and configured the feature the same way, it just won't seem to work.

I have found this site to be an invaluable resource so I am hoping that someone here will have some further insight or suggestions. I would be happy to post any of the server or client log files if these would help discern the answer to my challenge.

Thanks much!

Chris Bolton

I cannot tell you how many times this has happened but moments after posting my question I found the answer. I went into the reporting web site and checked the permissions for my administrator accounts and low and behold the administrator accounts did not have the appropriate permissions to view the reports in the browser or the console. I made the changes to permissions and now I can see historical data populating in reports for the past 3 months! The moral of the story is to take the time to document and review all the steps you have taken to resolve the problem so you can more easily discern where you might have skipped steps.

V/r,

Chris Bolton