lcurtis

Incorrect Device ID detected during driver install Win7 64bit

Hi,

I have a really odd problem that I’ve never seen before when deploying an OSD TS to an HP ProBook 6560b. I’m deploying Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit using Confg Manager 2012 SP1.

I have the latest driver pack for this model from HP (sp61783.exe), and the correct driver pack is selected in the TS using a WMI query. The driver package is installed OK, however the wrong NIC driver is installed.

The NIC is an Intel 82579V (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503), however the driver for the 82579LM (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502) gets installed.

Checking the setupapi.dev.log I can see that in the first boot session (i.e. after SCCM has copied the drivers to the driverstore and the laptop reboots to install the drivers) the hardware is detected as DEV_1502. The 82579LM driver is selected and installed, however the device fails to start.

After the next reboot in the TS the setupapi.dev.log shows that it has detected DEV_1503 and the 82579V driver is installed and the device starts.

Things I’ve tested so far:

• A driver package with only the NIC driver in case another driver was causing the issue.
  • Installing no drivers at all – the device is still detected as the 82579LM.
  • Creating a new driver package.
  • Several different versions of the driver including the latest from Intel rather than HP.
  • A different install.wim (the original just has IE9 slipstreamed, but I get the same result from the install.wim from the Win7 ISO).
  • Running the TS using standalone media.

A couple of interesting things:

• It’s not a hardware problem as it build correctly in our SCCM 2007 environment – using the same drivers.
  • The same TS works correctly on a ProBook 6570b and this has the same 82579V NIC.
  • If I install manually using the Windows 7 DVD the device is detected correctly as the 82579V.

Any help VERY much appreciated!

first_boot_dev_1502.txt

second_boot_dev_1503.txt