Atomic12

Customization in Default user profile during deployment

Hi guys,

I am banging my head against a wall for the 4th day now. I got a situation in which i have to make sure that every word, excel and PowerPoint get a customized quick access toolbar(QAT) during deployment.

post-22178-0-96030600-1387476545_thumb.jpg

Since we discovered that when that setting is applied via GPO it takes our laptops additional time to logon (our system admin tells us 30-45sec on top every other policy, 2min overall which is too much).

I searched all sites that I can think of and did not find an answer.

I tried to solve in in this way:

copy the 3 customized files named: Word.qat, Excel.qat, PowerPoint.qat via batch script to the Default user path (C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office), I choose the Default user so that not only the owner of the laptop can have the customized word,excel, PowerPoint but also every user in the company.

Script goes like this:

@echo off

md C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Word.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Excel.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0PowerPoint.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office

The problem is that Default user does not exist during deployment process (at least i think so when looking with F8 cmd during deployment), I personally think he is created at the first login process.

I Tried with office customization tool but I did not succeed.

Please help, and happy holidays to everyone!

Thank you,

Hi,

I assume you are using Windows 7, are you using the Copyprofile=yes setting in the unattend.xml file? of so the administrator profile is copied as the default profile at deployment time, that could perhaps be the issue.

Regards,
Jörgen

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, i forgot about this topic and went for holidays ^_^

@jorgen: We are using windows 7 yes, and no we didnt use the unattended.xml file.

I made a simple script which looks like this:

@echo off

md C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Word.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Excel.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0PowerPoint.qat" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Word.officeUI" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0Excel.officeUI" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
copy "%~dp0PowerPoint.officeUI" C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office

Simple making of the "Office" directory in the Default profile and then copying the .qat's to that directory.

The solution works only after a new user has logged into the system, so it won't show up in administrator account for example.

Thanks,

Hi,

you mean in the task sequence? I know that we have our deparment organized by one HTA script, and I have put it in core applications so every college gets it, after that step you get special SW according to your department (sales, QA, marketing...).

Important thing is that it works.

Thanks,

I found the easiest way was to make a new default user profile on the base image. Then copy the account you used to the C:\users\default folder from the System Properties > advanced > user profiles > settings. Use Windows Enabler to turn on the greyed out "copy to" button and make sure to give "everyone" full control. I have been doing this for many years and have never had an issue. Microsoft doesn't support this but it works great.