Opt1mus1980

Client Push install fails with weird error

I am dealing with a really weird issue. We have two environments one is SCCM 2007, and we just stood up the SCCM 2012 R2 environment to transfer over. I am trying to transition the clients over subnet by subnet using the client push install. SOme installs go without issue. But a good number of installs fail with a 1603 error. I know that the 1603 error is a generic error, so I was able to go through the Client.msi.log to find this error. "[10:25:19] ERROR: ITaskService::Connect failed with error 0x8007045a". This error is not in a successful deployment, and unfortunately no where in the googleverse either. I have attached the CCMSetup and Client.msi log, and would appreciate any help. My next step would be a call to MS.

Happy Holidays and thanks,

Ed

Pertinent Log sections:

[10:25:19] Automatic Delayed Start configuration is enabled for CCMEXEC
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:418]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CcmRegisterWinTaskRollback,ActionType=3329,Source=BinaryData,Target=CcmRegisterWinTaskRollback,)
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:433]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CcmRegisterWinTask,Description=Registers tasks with Windows Task Scheduler.,)
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:433]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CcmRegisterWinTask,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=CcmRegisterWinTask,)
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:433]: Creating MSIHANDLE (25398) of type 790536 for thread 3392
MSI (s) (64:B8) [10:25:19:433]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIFF7F.tmp, Entrypoint: CcmRegisterWinTask
MSI (s) (64!5C) [10:25:19:496]: Creating MSIHANDLE (25399) of type 790531 for thread 1884
MSI (s) (64!5C) [10:25:19:496]: Closing MSIHANDLE (25399) of type 790531 for thread 1884
[10:25:19] ERROR: ITaskService::Connect failed with error 0x8007045a
MSI (s) (64:B8) [10:25:19:496]: Closing MSIHANDLE (25398) of type 790536 for thread 3392
CustomAction CcmRegisterWinTask returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:542]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (64:40) [10:25:19:542]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
Action ended 10:25:19: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

ccmsetup.log

ccmsetup-20131224-102250.log

client.msi.log

Yes, I am specifying ITD in the client push settings. I do not have the ' ' but that has never been needed before. It is set up in the Client Push installation Properties.

Boundaries are set up as IP Address ranges, since the fellow from MS who consulted on the set up stated that IP Subnets do not work as well. Since I am doing a gradual rollout I do not want to add the AD Site codes yet.

The same push works on a number of machines, I want to say about 50-60%. But the 50-40% that it fails on all seem to fail the same way. I am opening a case with Microsoft today and will make sure to post the results. I appreciate the help.

hi there

Don't want to hijack this thread but just a few things you may have or may not have done..

On the machines that are unsuccessful have you looked at the event viewer to see if it unfolds anymore information about the failed installs?

Are these unsuccessful clients healthy clients within the 2007 environment? clean of malware, reporting correctly, etc etc..

Can you connect to the admin$ share of these machines from the site server initiating the client push?

Do you have a standard local admin account on all systems that you can specify in the client push credentials like so %machinename%\account?

Also 0x8007045a translates to: a dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed Source:Windows

Perhaps some different software/malware on the unsuccessful machines has messed up the dynamic link library in question that may need to be re-registered(maybe)?

Here is a link that gives some further information into the error 1603!

I appreciate any help that you can provide. I am currently working with Microsoft Support on the issue and am making my way up the ladder.

These were good functioning clients in the 2007 environment. I know because I pushed a round of patches to them just before I started the migration at this site.

In the event log I am seeing some errors related to .NET, so I have uninstalled and repaired the framework, then for good measure went ahead and Upgraded to .NET 4.0. Still no luck.

Connection to the Admin$ share is fine from the site server, and the account set to push is a member of the Domain Admins group, which is in turn a member of the local admins. I am not seeing any access denied errors, I would think that the failure would occur much earlier in the process.

I will continue working with MS, and make sure to update the thread with findings.

Follow up:

After working with Microsoft we found that deleting the CCMSetup service, and running the following:

ccmsetup.exe /MP:ServerName /NoService SMSSITECODE=SiteCode

The installation succeeds. We are still working with MS on a RCA of why the system account is unable to install the client successfully but that is the outcome.

On another note, does any one have any suggestions on how to run a start-up script/GPO deployment in a user context? I tried PSExec, but the client install fails there too.