bedwards16

Cannot load generic boot images

I've been having an issue where when I PXE boot to my SCCM server, it starts to load the Boot Image but then reboots immediately, leaving me in the same place I started. My assumption was that the Boot Image was corrupt, so I went to delete the image from the DP and Config Manager. Now when I go to add the boot images back into CM, I browse to the location where they're stored and I get a blank Boot Image drop down list. Has anyone seen this before? I've included a picture of what I'm talking about.

post-23260-0-96646000-1388505729_thumb.png

How far does it get when booting? Do you get past the splash screen? Do you see the WinPE Environment at all?

If you do, you may notice it will reboot at the part where it says "Preparing network connections".

This usually means the drivers for the NIC on that particular PC are not included within the WinPE image. You need to add them and they try again.

Sorry I'm getting back so late. Before I removed the Boot Images, the exact thing that Edenost mentioned was happening. I'd get all the way into the PE Environment, it would get to Preparing Network Connections and then reboot. So that was a driver issue huh? Where would I go to add those drivers?

Now I need to get back to that point, because now it won't let me add the Boot Images back in. I don't get why, because I was able to add them in when I first created the server. I'd rather not have to recreate them if they're already ready to go.

What I would do in your position would be to remove the Distribution Point, and re-add it. Yes, you will need to likely re-deploy things, but it should get the boot images back.

Try to follow the beginning of the guide linked below which anyweb made for deploying Windows 7:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6353-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-7-build-and-capture-windows-7-x64-sp1/

Well, funnily enough, I have come across a new laptop at the school I work at which I have not used on SCCM for OSD before. I deployed XP to it the other day, and there were next to no drivers except XP's native ones.

It is a Dell Latitude D520 (not "New", but new to SCCM), and I will walk you through adding the NIC (Network Interface Card), driver to SCCM for use within a boot image and for SCCM to install as a driver during an OSD.

Step 1:

Download your driver for the NIC (This can be in a .exe format, or maybe .zip...etc). You will need to extract the driver files from the package you just downloaded. I recommend using 7zip.

You want to put the drivers on a network share which SCCM has access to. I use a folder within the same area as my OS images. You should end up with something similar to this below:

post-20536-0-67036900-1390308507_thumb.png

post-20536-0-06638500-1390308512_thumb.png

Step 2: Open the SCCM console (either on the server, or from a client with the console installed). Navigate to "Software Center", expand "Operating Systems". Right click on "Drivers" and choose "Import Driver" from the context menu, like below:

post-20536-0-77371200-1390308474_thumb.png

Step 3: I chose to install all available drivers from the driver .exe which I downloaded and extracted, so I chose the first option, which is to "Import all drivers in the following network path (UNC)". If you want to import a particular driver, and not one other, you can use the option below to specify the particular .inf file in question.

post-20536-0-33392200-1390308478_thumb.png

Step 4: Now SCCM can see the driver, and it will give you a list of the drivers which have been picked up from the UNC path on the first screen. You can then select/deselect the ones you wish to keep or not keep. In my case, I only had one anyway, (only wanted the XP driver), so it only listed the one. Underneath, you want to tick the option which says "Enable these drivers and allow computers to install them", and then further down, you may want to choose "Categories...". This is helpful in the future when trying to work out what driver is for what...etc, as you can see below:

post-20536-0-56253400-1390308484_thumb.png

post-20536-0-03113800-1390308489_thumb.png

As I'm writing this guide, I can see that I have made a mistake in the naming of the "Category". I should have added "LAN" after it, so I can define which driver it is for the D520, but that's just how I've done it, how you do it is up to you.

Step 5: This is a step which allows you to create a "Driver Package" for use in other things like OSD for example. If you haven't already, I would recommend you click on "Create", choose the storage location of the package, and give it an appropriate name for the computer you are installing the driver for. If you were to add a Graphics driver to SCCM in the future for example, you can add it to the same package if it's for the same computer, to it makes it easier to work with. To do that, you would select a Tick box next to the package in question rather than create a new one.

post-20536-0-96072400-1390308492_thumb.png

I have stored my SCCM Drivers package like below. (I just created a folder at the top of the "Dell Latitude D520" folder, called "SCCM Package". So I know that this package is for this computer. There may be a much better way of doing this, but I am still learning my self so I could be wrong about the storage lay out (any feedback from others would be appreciated, as I am moving a lot of my files off of the SCCM server it self and on to a NAS)).

post-20536-0-30220100-1390309429_thumb.png

Step 6: This is where to "inject" the drivers in to the boot images. Select them both, and make sure you select the "Update distribution points when finished" option, as once this is completed, if you hadn't done that, you would have had to manually redistribute your boot images (not exactly a big problem, but nicer to do it all at once).

post-20536-0-04944800-1390308497_thumb.png

Step 7: Wait patiently. You will see screens like these:

post-20536-0-48545200-1390308500_thumb.png

post-20536-0-40014700-1390308504_thumb.png

For me, this step can take quite a while. I have had it take up to 20 minutes before, so my best advice at this stage is to just leave SCCM alone to do it's thing until you have the "Completion" screen which says it's finished (and hopefully successful).

I know this might seem a bit OTT, but I have taken the time to write this guide to help you and others in the future. I have come across so much with SCCM that I'm not sure about, and luckily "anyweb" has made guides already for 90% of it, but I couldn't see one just for drivers, (although I'm sure I've seen one somewhere in the middle of another much larger guide).

Anyway, some feedback would be appreciated, tell me where I went wrong or what I could do better...etc, from anyone, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks Edenost. I removed the DP and added it back. I didn't have to redeploy any of my Apps or Software Update schedules, so do you think that means it didn't fully remove the DP? My problem persists either way. I am getting the same blank drop down. This seems like such a little thing. It's got to be something small right?!

Hi,

After reading your first post again, I think I misunderstood your second problem.

The driver bit still stands, so once you have the boot images back, you should add the nic driver into the boot images.

Open the software section of the sccm console, open operating systems. In there, the boot images should be in there. I can't remember the exact location as I'm replying on my phone, so I don't have the console in front of me.

The section you are in is to use a custom boot image not the default ones which come with system.

If they are in there, click on one and check its distribution status. If it is grey, distribute it. If it's yellow, give it some time, if it's green, try booting a pc to pxe and see how you get on.

Let me know. I will reply with more detail tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Phil