SCCMNoobster

OSD Speed

Hi,

I have currently set up a task sequence that will do an OSD of a win 8.1 image (with drivers and a few of the larger programs installed already) and then the TS installs about 20 programs.

It is currently working but it takes about 3 hours to part where it has finished applying the OS and start installing the applications. The size of the .wim is about 13 gig. is this speed normal?

It's an Acer Iconia W510 which doesn't have a network port so it is using the USB to Network dongle that came with it.

Previously we would install everything on the tablet, image it and then put that image ourselves on each individual tablets. Obviously this has its problems but it did only take about 45 mins to image a machine (this is using the USB to Ethernet dongle as well).

The main difference I can see between the two methods is that SCCM copy's the image to the tablet and then apply's the image were are old method we would apply the .wim file directly from the server.

Is there anything I can do to speed up SCCM or am I doing something wrong?

What version of SCCM are you running?

R2 has a bug... if you are downloading everything first then it's overkill, there is a fix for it at present.

If you choose to download all content first with R2 (without applying the fix) it has increased the time by at least 4 times than that of it's predecessor(s) i:e SCCM 2012, SP1, CU1 etc...

If not R2 are you still downloading everything first before installation. If so perhaps try access content directly, this should decrease time of OSD.

The dongle will also be slower, it's expected than that of a physical integrated network port.

Im running SCCM 2012 SP1 version 5.0.7804.1000

I have just recently upped the RAM from 4gig to 8gig becuase I noticed the ram was pretty much maxed and Ive also rebooted the server. About to test it.

I will also try to make it not download from the DP. Is that as clicking the "Access the content directly from the distribution point" or is there more to it?

I have just recently upped the RAM from 4gig to 8gig becuase I noticed the ram was pretty much maxed and Ive also rebooted the server. About to test it.

4GB is a bit on the lean side especially for a PS hosting a DP (not of course this is test lab).

Is SQL on the same box?

I will also try to make it not download from the DP. Is that as clicking the "Access the content directly from the distribution point" or is there more to it?

Yes just access content directly, be aware though how you have configured your packages, some may only work if they are downloaded first, so some package alterations may be needed if you find that accessing content directly suits your environment better.

• Like 1

Hey Rocketman,

Yes I have SQL2012 on Windows2012 with the PS and DP. I also rebooted the server and with the extra ram/making it now apply the image from the server it has changed from a 4 hour image to about an hour image. Yay!

My current problem is I have added a Format and Partition Disk step before Apply Operating System so I can make 2 partitions on the tablets. This works however when it gets to the very end of applying operating system it crashes.

I have the current error message in the smsts.log over and over through the log

(__hrMethodRetVal == ((HRESULT)0L)) || (bFailIfMissing == false), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\NTS_SCCM_RELEASE\sms\common\inc\ccmxml.h,582)

EDIT

I missed a few of the more descriptive errors

uRet != ERROR_LOGON_FAILURE && uRet != ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED, HRESULT=80070005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\tsconnection.cpp,294)

Failed to connect to "\\chicken.stmarks.wa.edu.au\SMSPKGC$\SM10006E". Invalid username or password.

Failed to connect to the share \\chicken.stmarks.wa.edu.au\SMSPKGC$\SM10006E\ with default account

System partition not set

Unable to find the partition that contains the OS boot loaders. Please ensure the hard disks have been properly partitioned
Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)
Bcdboot failed! bcdboot.exe C:\WINDOWS /l en-US failed (15299)
stdout:
Failure when attempting to copy boot files.
stderr:
Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System.
Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)

I ended up removing the Format and Partition section and added a command line that run diskpart and this worked.

Image takes about 2 hours now to complete.

Can you share these command lines? I've got the same problems