SCCMNoobster

SCCM2012 + WSUS

Hey

So I know there is a way to add window updates to a existing OS Image so you don't have to do a million updates once you image a machine. I see in instructions that to add this ability you basically make SCCM the WSUS server so SCCM handles everything. I currently have WSUS on a different server is there a way I can get my SCCM to link to that so I can do what I want to do without making my SCCM server my WSUS server? Or am i not understanding it correctly?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Basically it is called servicing. You need a Software Update Point in SCCM (which works in conjunction with WSUS). Once the SUP is working you can go in SCCM to your OS Images and do what is called Schedule Updates. This schedule runs and updates your wim file for you, then updates the DP for you. Your SCCM does not have to be your WSUS Server, but it does have to control the management of the updates. i.e download and deployment of them.

I haven't got that far yet with my 2012 environment but will hopefully be there in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

OK I have added SUP on my SCCM main site and it has said i need to install WSUS admin console if WSUS is not on the site server which i have done. However if I goto Monitor - Site Status both Managment Point and Software Update Point are Critical.

management point says

MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests. The HTTP status code and text is 503, Service Unavailable.

Software Update Point says

WSUS Control Manager failed to monitor WSUS Server "chicken.stmarks.wa.edu.au".

Possible cause: WSUS Server version 3.0 SP2 or above is not installed or cannot be contacted.
Solution: Verify that the WSUS Server version 3.0 SP2 or greater is installed. Verify that the IIS ports configured in the site are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.
Is there somewhere were i need to tell it what my wsus server is?

Basically you need to install a SUP and WSUS to sync the software updates into SCCM. You don't need to configure any GPOs to let SCCM manage and install those updates on your client machines, if your only goal is to inject updates into an OS image with offline servicing.

Basically you need to install a SUP and WSUS to sync the software updates into SCCM. You don't need to configure any GPOs to let SCCM manage and install those updates on your client machines, if your only goal is to inject updates into an OS image with offline servicing.

Yep that's exactly what I want, thanks

OK I have wsus installed and working and have the updates downloaded in the "All Software Updates" section of sccm 2012 but when I select a Operating System Image.and select on of the images the Schedule Updates are grayed out. The image im trying to update is windows 8.1

any ideas?

EDIT:

I just tried by adding an windows 8 image and it gives me the option to add the updates, do I need to update my SCCM2012 or something like that to let me add updates to 8.1? I have sccm2012 sp1 v 5.0.7804.1000

OK I have wsus installed and working and have the updates downloaded in the "All Software Updates" section of sccm 2012 but when I select a Operating System Image.and select on of the images the Schedule Updates are grayed out. The image im trying to update is windows 8.1

any ideas?

EDIT:

I just tried by adding an windows 8 image and it gives me the option to add the updates, do I need to update my SCCM2012 or something like that to let me add updates to 8.1? I have sccm2012 sp1 v 5.0.7804.1000

Windows 8.1 is not supported by SCCM 2012 SP1, you need to upgrade to R2.