dverbern

SCCM 2012 - Software Updates Ignoring Maintenance Windows!

Hello,

We have created Automatic Deployment Rules and collections for our Software Updates for our servers.

In the Software Update collections, we have defined a specific Maintenance Window, which relates to Microsoft's Patch Tuesday as shown in attached graphic.

However, we are finding that as soon as we populate our collection, the updates are being download and installed! (i.e. Outside the Maintenance Window)

Obviously this isn't right. One concern I have is that a particular server can be a member of multiple collections which might have different Maintenance Windows, so any tip on how these conflicting windows "add up" would also be helpful.

Can someone give a tip on whether there is a particular log or setting in the infrastructure we can refer to to investigate this?

post-16372-0-49955000-1390367138_thumb.png

You can check ServiceWindowManager.log in the client logs.

If you have clients that are in multiple collections with maintenance windows the client will adhere to all active maintenance windows. Also check that the deployment does not ignore maintenance windows.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694295.aspx for further information.

Jeremy

Make sure the MW is ENABLED.

If you have these configured, but the checkbox is not checked, the MW is disabled and ignored.

I was able to find this by running this report : 

Monitoring=> Overview=> Reporting => Reports =>Software Distribution -Collections => Maintenance windows available to a specified Client

Here I saw that the MW was DISABLED, et voila, I had the explanation why my clients ignored the MW.

• Like 1