straytoasters

OSD fails on Hyper-V client

SCCM 2007

Same OSD TS works on physical machines.

Good IP (and can ping external sites and SCCM server (in network, not same machine))

Using standard Hyper-V nic and "legacy" nic

IP's are set by DHCP

Running from TSM. TSM finds TS, starts TS but hangs for about 10 minutes at "Resolving Selected Task Sequence Dependencies". At this point still have good IP and can ping (external and internal).

Progress bar continue to move (not that that really means anything per se). When progress bar gets to about two spots from the end the IP address gets lost and the TS fails with the standard "The Task Sequence failed to run" Error 0x80072EE7.

Okay...the smsts log does say it was unable to connect to the SCCM server but I guess I am asking if anyone has any idea why that is since I could connect to it (via ping and mapping a random share to it). Thoughts?

StrayToasters

Actually I have done both. In this case I am launching the TSM disk on a Hyper-V VM "shell" (no OS, just settings and pre-config (sized) hard drive). In the past I have gotten the same result while trying to pull an OS image. In that situation the image being pulled DOES get to the SCCM server up to about 70%-90% then the network drops. I can get it back with a few attempts a ipconfig/renew but at that point the TS has failed.

To answer your question I suppose I should say PXE as I am starting the process from a TSM disk.

I do want to be clear that the target machine DOES find and start the TS, but at some point the network drops for seemingly no reason. The same TS works fine on a real machine. I have not tried this on a different VM software (Virtual box/VMware) so I dont know positivly if its Hyper-V or the network but as it works fine on a real machine I lean toward some Hyper-V setting not being right.

Actually I have done both. In this case I am launching the TSM disk on a Hyper-V VM "shell" (no OS, just settings and pre-config (sized) hard drive). In the past I have gotten the same result while trying to pull an OS image. In that situation the image being pulled DOES get to the SCCM server up to about 70%-90% then the network drops. I can get it back with a few attempts a ipconfig/renew but at that point the TS has failed.

To answer your question I suppose I should say PXE as I am starting the process from a TSM disk.

I do want to be clear that the target machine DOES find and start the TS, but at some point the network drops for seemingly no reason. The same TS works fine on a real machine. I have not tried this on a different VM software (Virtual box/VMware) so I dont know positivly if its Hyper-V or the network but as it works fine on a real machine I lean toward some Hyper-V setting not being right.

It could be that the drivers are not being injected?

So whilst its in PXE its running fine, once it drops out of PXE and reboots to continue the TS it cant connect to the SCCM server (NIC drivers missing) and therefore the TS fails??

That would be my guess........

Is SCCM reporting anything back?