Muug

Advice needed: deploying SSCM in multi-domain and multi-enterprise environment

Hi,
my name is Paul. I'm an employee in a relatively small enterprise (about 700 persons), let's call it Comp-A. My collegue and me are about to make up an SCCM hierarchy for our enterprise. We need to present it next week, which is a bit short, alas. And here are things getting complicated. I'll explain our situation. SCCM will we used to deploy pc's, servers and mobile devices for ourselves. Comp-A consists of three buildings in one city and two sattelites in two other cities. Bandwidth is no problem, we have enough fibers. So Comp-A could do with one primary site and no CAS. BUT.
There is also Comp-B, about 1400 employees, this company has her own domain and her own buildings. It is totally independent. But the firewalls between Comp-A and B are wide open, due to policital reasons. We are twins.
There is also Comp-C, about 120 employees. It's the same scenario: it's a seperate company but the firewalls are wide open. So we aren't twins, we are three !
Next, we have Comp-D and Comp-E. For those two we deliver pc's and their configurations and updates etc.
You get the picture, Comp-A is what you could call a "service provider" for the other companies. We live in some kind of symbiose with them.
Now, knowing all this, how would you organise SCCM? CAS/no CAS? SQL remote or local? Primary site in every Comp or not? And what about redundancy and high availability? We do have a huge data center with hundreds of virtual servers, fibers everywhere, a SAN, so resources are no problem.

I hope this isn't too late for you:

We're running a site hierarchy CAS + 2 PRI but the reason for that is specific to our needs.

If you check youtube for TechEd 2013 in New Zealland, there's a lot of information about SCCM2012 R2. One presenter asks whether anyone is using a CAS. Only 1 person is and he indicates this is a bad thing to do. Why? I haven't yet worked out. If you watch it and work it out please let me know.

Good luck with the design

Hi 1putt, no it's not too late. In the meantime we've been implementing and optimizing MDT 2013, which is due to go in production. Nice product ! But we still have absolutely no idea how to implement SCCM. A system architect advices us to go the multitenant way but it's easier said then done. All these enterprises have a huge vertical hierarchy and things move very slow here.