patchm00

Any way to "Install Software Updates" in Media Task Sequence?

Hello,

When we use flash drive with just the boot media and it connects to SCCM via the network, the Task Sequence which includes "Install Software Updates" works perfectly.

However, when we use Create Task Sequence Media, the software updates do not run. I understand that part of software updates is the task running the process to check which updates it needs so perhaps it doesn't know which updates to include on the flash drive, but, why won't it connect over the network to run this task? I know the standalone is supposed to be "stand alone" however the join domain network task runs over the network as well as the activate Windows.

thanks

Hello,

You should use pre-staged media for this scenario ;)

Well, we do this when we have a large deployment and we can duplicate the prestaged hard drive to the new computer hard drives, but doing it for one computer a day for instance is not as feasiable in my opinion. Plus, the time and effort to update a prestaged media is much more than a stand alone flash drive for instance.

Thanks for your input though!

Check this out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/79465d90-4831-4872-96c2-2062d80f5583#BKMK_CreateStandAloneMedia

Configuration Manager does not support the following actions for stand-alone media:

• Automatic application of device drivers from the driver catalog.
  • Installing software updates.
  • Installing software before an operating system deployment.
  • Associating users with the destination computer to support user device affinity.
  • Installing dependencies for applications that are specified as part of the task sequence.

Check this out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/79465d90-4831-4872-96c2-2062d80f5583#BKMK_CreateStandAloneMedia

Configuration Manager does not support the following actions for stand-alone media:

• Automatic application of device drivers from the driver catalog.

• Installing software updates.

• Installing software before an operating system deployment.

• Associating users with the destination computer to support user device affinity.

• Installing dependencies for applications that are specified as part of the task sequence.

Well, that takes care of that doens't it :wacko:

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess the only option is to update reference image often.