1putt

Cross-contamination - Dual Installation - SCCM 2012- and 2012 R2

Hi, a noob to the forums.

Hope some of the experts here can help fast-track me in SCCM and R2 in particular. The issues I've found are likely Windows related rather than SCCM specific. Please bear with me I'm from a 30 year Unix background.

Our current environment is 2K8R2 with 2012- (no SP) in a site hierarchy CAS + multiple PRI. All works as expected.

I'm rolling out R2 in parallel with the aim of eventually switching all clients over to the new config and retiring the 2012- installation. The reason for NOT creating a separate network is to allow us to have access to the existing SQL server (different instances of course), ADC and supporting DNS, etc.

The problem we've faced is that the new installation is now interfering with the old. Most noticeably when building a new PC the new installation interferes with the build process and resulting builds fail.

I've disabled all discovery on the R2 install but the new client is still being rolled out to existing devices.

What I'd like to do in the R2 installation is manually control which devices get the new client and prevent existing devices from being "clobbered".

Can anyone point me to the steps needed to keep the new installation segregated from the old until it's ready and then roll over to the new installation?

Thanks.

Never had the opportunity of seeing or setting up such a configuration, but Is auto-site-wide client install enabled. You could turn it off.

Auto-Client1.JPG

Also you could set approval to manual for now, due to the fact that the clients have been discovered (accidentally) and are in a trusted domain, the client will be approved automatically

Auto-Client.JPG

As for discovery and getting some clients with R2 installed, maybe configure AD Ou's with clients that you need for R2 and set discovery to the OUs as opposed to the root of the domain. Just a thought and may not be the solution and you may have already tried this.