D8TA

WDS PXE Boot image remote machine

Question

I am working on a process to re-image Agent notebooks out in all our 100+ District Offices across the United States. The images are all the same Windows 7 with a C: and D: drive. Today, when the notebook is in one of the Offices it comes back to Corporate and hits the DHCP server for an IP address. I have placed an IP helper address of the WDS server on the District Office router so it will use Windows WDS for PXE. I see the WDS PXE menu but how can I then tell the notebook where to pick up the image? Is that possible? You see, all the District Offices have a SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) PC in them for WCCP caching via Squid and simple web-based tasks with Firefox. I have a /tftpboot directory which contains the current .wim image which I am trying to get to work. So my thought is when an Agent notebook needs to be re-imaged the Agent would connect to their local network, Office, hit the magic F12 to PXE (network boot). This all works but I can't for the life of me figure out once in the WDS PXE Menu how I can or what I need to do so that the Agent would select the appropriate menu listing which would have the system grab the .wim image form the local SLED PC and not come all the way back to the Corporate Office where WDS is located. Trying to download a 20+ GB image over DSL or Cable connection would impact the District Office and is not feasible.

Is this possible? The nice thing is all of these SLED PCs have a similar address where all x.x.?.x (x are the same and ? represents the District Office location). So if you were in Office Z which has an address of 192.168.4.20 then you grab the image from 192.168.4.20/tftpboot and not from the Corporate WDS server which would and could be many, many miles away.
All suggestions and assistance are greatly appreciated!!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet