aakbar@live.com

How to design System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 for 300 client machine installation with application softwares at single well connected site

Dear All,

i need help to design and install System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 in Head Office only to support installation of Operating Systems along with Application Softwares for upto 300 client machines along with End Point Protection, Data Protection and WSUS.

Questions need to be answer are following.

1. is this software combination is suitable for the above mentioned purpose (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition, Sql Server 2012 Sp1 Standard Edition and System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 Standard Edition)?

2. Should i install a Standalone Primary Site to support 300 client machines?

3. should i install all the components (SQL Server and System Center and Distribution Point) on a single server? if yes what should be the specification of the servers? if no then how much servers i needed and how much memory, cpu and disk space is required to accomplish above mentioned tasks?

Personally, I run a single primary sccm server on a virtualization server. It has 4 cores. Xenon processor. 10Gb ram. It does all of the above for 800+ machines. I have it all installed on one server.

I'm soon moving it to it's own physical server with 4 cores again, but 16Gb of ram. The only thing I can't do at the moment as it is, is run the reports part of sccm. Hopefully I will be able to soon.

Also, I have 2 hard drives. The system one for Windows is 120Gb and the second one for sccm and sql is 500Gb. My updates for Windows save to the 500Gb server, but all of my images and software are on a separate NAS of 2tb.

It is a little slow, but I never have problems with it. I reboot it at least once a week to keep it fresh and up to date as well when needed.

Hope this helps.

(p.s. I'm pretty sure I'm running under the recommended spec, but I have no problems ... Yet. I've been running it like this for 12 months now).

1. is this software combination is suitable for the above mentioned purpose (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition, Sql Server 2012 Sp1 Standard Edition and System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 Standard Edition)?

The combination can be created or sofwares to be installe once the OS has been deployed on the client. Use Task Sequence steps for the installation of applicaiton post OS deployment.

2. Should i install a Standalone Primary Site to support 300 client machines?

For this you need to understand the Hierarchy of the SCCM, however as far as your setup is concerned as you are proceeding with deployment at one site it should work with Standalone primary site.

NOTE- Bandwidth should be consiered before implementation.

3. should i install all the components (SQL Server and System Center and Distribution Point) on a single server? if yes what should be the specification of the servers? if no then how much servers i needed and how much memory, cpu and disk space is required to accomplish above mentioned tasks?

Deploy the Roles that are necessary for OS deployment only(Mgmt. Point, PXE Point, WDS, WSUS, etc) refer to Microsoft recommendations.

Windows XP is going EOL in April so why are you concerned about deploying it ? also with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager R2 there is no native support for Windows XP via OSD, to deploy XP you'd need to import a Win PE 3.1 or WinPE 4.0 boot image..