blang008

MDT/USMT Question

Question

3 answers to this question

Certainly can, just implement your MDT instance as you normally would (has to be MDT 2012 Update 1 or lower as MDT 2013 does not support Windows XP) with corporate wim, drivers, applications, packages etc then update your customsettings.ini to fully automate the answers that MDT requires. Note I just run litetouch.vbs from the deployment share to kick off the refresh however others have more elegant solutions. I also copy my custom usmt xml files into the control folder of the deployment share. I'm not sure if this is totally necessary however some have blogged that its required. Note the custom xml files are also in my USMT package. I have chosen USMT hardlinking but you could go down the path of storing a mig file on a network share and then loading it back.

I have created linked deployment shares so I can upgrade computers that are located in different sites so I'm not pulling content across slow network links.

Here is a copy of mine. You will have to modify it for your locale. If implemented correctly you will get no prompts and the upgrade process will be fully automated.

The only issue I had was when MDT was unable to log automatically back onto the computer during the TS as I had a security message before login as part of my group policy. You probably wont have this so just removed the SavedJoinDomain from the customsettings.ini file. If you do Google SavedJoinDomain and MDT.

The process I followed was to get my MDT Task Sequence working correctly re: drivers, apps, USMT data migration etc. Then I implemented the custom settings.ini file which automated all the answers.

Cheers

Damon

[settings]
Priority=Default
Properties=MyCustomProperty, SavedJoinDomain
[Default]
OSInstall=Y
_SMSTSOrgName=%yourorgname%
DeployRoot=\\%yourmdtserver%\DeploymentShare$
DoCapture=No
DisableTaskMgr=YES
HideShell=YES
SkipCapture=YES
SkipAdminPassword=YES
SkipProductKey=YES
SkipBitLocker=YES
SkipFinalSummary=YES
SkipSummary=YES
SkipBDDWelcome=YES
SLShare=\\%yourmdtserver%\Logs$
SkipDeploymentType=YES
DeploymentType=REFRESH
SkipDomainMembership=YES
JoinDomain=%yourFQDN%
DomainAdmin=%youraccount%
DomainAdminDomain=%yourdomain%
DomainAdminPassword=%yourdomainadminpassword%
SkipUserData=YES
UserDataLocation=AUTO
SkipComputerBackup=YES
USMTMIGFILES001=MigUser.xml
USMTMIGFILES002=MigApp.xml
USMTMIGFILES003=%yourcustom%.xml
USMTConfigFile=%yourconfig%.xml
ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c /ue:administrator /ue:%yourdomain%\%youraccounttoexcludefromusmt% /uel:45
LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac
SkipTaskSequence=YES
TaskSequenceID=%yourtasksequenceid%
SkipComputerName=YES
OSDComputerName=%ComputerName%
SkipLocaleSelection=YES
UILanguage=en-AU
UserLocale=en-AU
KeyboardLocale=en-AU;0409:00000409
SkipTimeZone=YES
TimeZone=265
TimeZoneName=Tasmania Standard Time