XSCCM

Can this be achieved?

Hi,

I'm after some basic advice and a gentle nudge in the right direction for a deployment I've been asked to look at as I'm pretty new to SCCM. We have SCCM already setup and configured along software updates being installed to Windows 7 clients weekly.

We would like to use SCCM to deploy windows updates out to our server estate in a controlled manner (Server 2003 and 2008). This being that the windows updates will be deployed gradually, in 12 groups to control the number being updated and to control which updates are installed, so that over all our servers are updated once a quarter.

So, I'm thinking that I can update the Software update group and then deploy the updates out to Group 1. Group1 would contain our test servers just in case any of the updates conflict with our applications. Beyond that we would then deploy weekly to group 2, group 3 and so on, but installing only the updates which were installed to Group 1.

At the end of the cycle we would then want to add new updates to our Software group and start it again.

After spending some time looking at this and following through the guides ,the bit I'm struggling to get my head around is how we can only install updates which have been installed in group 1. I've looked at the ADR but I'm not sure if this will give us what we need.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

You could tackle it a bit of a different way, by setting up 12 device collections with the servers required in each one.

Then create one quarterly software update group with all the updates and deploy that to each of the 12 collections as required.

Thus you ensure you have the same updates through the whole process.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I just wanted to ensure what I'm trying to do it possible! I'll not go away and figure out how to put it into practice.

Just one further quick question, you say that I create one software update group and deploy that to each of the 12 collections as required - can that be scheduled, so week one depoly to group 1, week 2 deploy to group 2...etc. Or will manual intervention be required to assign the software update group to each collection on a weekly basis.

Either option will be fine to be honest!

The method I suggested would require 12 deployments (1 for each collection of servers) to be created.

This can be done at any time, so you could create the 12 deployments at the start of the quarter and just stagger the installation deadlines for them over 12 weeks as you desire. Alternatively you could create each one a week before the intended deadline or whatever, its up to you.