MadMacs77

Making Applications work for me

I'm approaching this post from the assumption that I probably have no idea what I'm doing :)

I find Applications to in SCCM 2012 to be far weaker than Packages, but I'm giving it the old college try!

I want to be able to do things like run scripts before and/or after install, or deploy multiple MSIs in a sequence in an Application.

Am I pie-in-the sky dreaming, or is this supported and possible? I haven't found any clear documentation on this.

Thanks

--

Example 1: Adobe Flash comes in an installer for Active X and a plug-In for other browsers. I want them together, but when I tried it out only the Active- X, the first one in the list, got installed, so I had to deploy them as separate Applications.

Example 2: I want to run a script after Office 2013 installs to clean up any Office 2010 shortcuts that may be hanging around.

It sounds like you are using different Deployment Types, look into using dependencies instead. I too got caught on this one. Dependencies can be found in the properties of a deployment type.

I would say what you are trying to achieve is completely possible though.

Example 1: Adobe Flash comes in an installer for Active X and a plug-In for other browsers. I want them together, but when I tried it out only the Active- X, the first one in the list, got installed, so I had to deploy them as separate Applications.

Create seperate applications for both MSIs, have one MSI be a dependency of the other one. If 'APP1' is a dependency of 'APP2', deploy 'APP2' to deploy both MSIs.

Example 2: I want to run a script after Office 2013 installs to clean up any Office 2010 shortcuts that may be hanging around.

Create two applications, one with the script and one with the Office 2013 package. Make Office 2013 a dependency for the Script. Deploy the script. Also, in the Application Catalog tab of the Scripts Properties, you can give it a nice name that makes it look like you are just installing Office.