stylaren

How to set Computername with powershell in a MDT task sequence

Question

Hello!

Im trying to create a custom computer name when i deploy computers via MDT. What my goal is for example VM-last14numberofserialnumber.

I have created a script in powershell that almost do what i wan't:

Import-Module ZTIUtility
$y = Get-WMIObject Win32_BIOS | Select-Object SerialNumber; $tsenv:OSDComputerName= $y.Serialnumber.Substring(40,14).Replace(" ","")

At the moment the script makes only writes the last 14 numbers of the serialnumber and not the "VM-" before and that is what i wan't since I wan't to be able to control VM, DT (Desktop) or LT (Laptop) via customsettings.

Problem is, i don't know how i should handle this in a task sequence, I know that the script work because i created a custom task sequence with two tasks, One with this powershell script and one that writes "notepad.exe %OSDComputerName%" via CMD. So i get the result i wan't, but how to i actually set this to be my computername when i deploy a VM.

It is probaly pretty easy but im out of ideas.

Any tips or help is welcome.

// Anthon

2 answers to this question

Hi,

Here is an example on how to do it http://www.potentengineer.com/using-powershell-to-set-osd-task-sequence-variables/

Regards,

Jörgen

Hello Jörgen!

Unfortunately i have already read this and i still don't understand. Like a said i got the script working and i have confirmed it via a MDT task sequence. What I need to understand is when the task sequence or WIndows PE sets the computer name so i can put my powershell script before that task. Hope you understand what i mean.