Edenost

SCCM Windows Updates

I have an SCCM server with the SUP enabled and managing Windows updates. ADRs all set. To be honest, it's working absolutly fine.

Anyway, as it should, sccm distributed updates to my servers as and when they are downloaded.

The thing is, my boss sometimes decides to go to the server, log on and open Windows Updates from control panel and tell the server to check. It often comes back with A LOT more updates than it shows on SCCM.

Why is this? Are these maybe optional updates which I have not enabled on SCCM to deploy? Or is the server going out to Microsoft (even though it says managed by sys admin), and getting any which SCCM did not get?

Is he wrong for doing this, and should he just let SCCM get on with it, or am I missing something my self?

The Sync logs are all fine. I have ADR's which run daily/nightly and they never error unless there is a problem with the Internet, and updates do deploy as normal when they are found.

This my setup for Server 2008 for example:

post-20536-0-48007500-1392311011_thumb.png

Do I need to enable the "Severity" and/or maybe "Update Classification" to get all of them?

One of my servers is fully up to date with SCCM, but it has now found 52 updates.

Thanks

Phil

You'd have to compare and contrast the list of updates you're deploying in Configuration Manager with the list of updates that is being shown in the Windows Update screen. See if there are any major products (eg. Microsoft Office 2013) missing from your SUP configuration in Configuration Manager, that have updates shown in the Windows Update screen.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan