Steve.sven

OSD deployment fails on preparing network connections

My environment;

Running SCCM 2012 R2 on 2012 R2 server

DC Server 2012 R2

All running on VM's on Windows 8 hyper-v

When doing any deployment now OSD deployment fails on "preparing network connections" ?I have recently upgraded all my lab to 2012 R2 servers and SCCM 2012 R2 I have built from scratch again.My deployments did work ok when it was all server 2012/sccm 2012 sp1 .I was thinking possibly need some sort of network drivers in the boot image - but my lab is all on a windows 8 hyper-v vm's and did not need to inject driver packages when it was the previous svr 2012/sccm 2012 SP1 enviroment ?

Any ideas ?

Probably network drivers.

Make sure you've enabled debugging and press F8 went it boots up, make sure you;re getting an ip address. Although with it being hyper-v i'd imagine they drivers are inbox drivers and should be part of winPE. I've not played with hyper V much but I know on vmware you can set to a default legacy NIC.

You can try re running teh task sequence by goign to x:\sms\bin\i38\tsbootshell.exe (for x86 use x64 for obviously x64)

With new models of kit I've found it a bit fiddly getting the right drivers, I tend to use drvrload to load them up and make sure they work before integrating them into the boot image.

few questions here....

at what point do you check if you have an ip address ?? i was told you have to time it right....once i hit f8 i typed ipconfig but no ip address......

can you please explain how do you use dvrload ?? is it an executable ?? where do i find it and how do i use it ??

also i had question about the log files......which log file do i check and where do i find it ???

thank you!!!

You can find the log files for the client during OSD in the following location.

• Before the HDD formats: "x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log"

• After the HDD formats: "x:\smstslog\smsts.log"

• After the OSD applies the OS they are often located within "C:\Windows\CCM\Logs".

It turns out my network config was wrong on my virtual environment .I did not have 2 seperate address ranges - 1 for my internal vlan and one for my external internet routing .Once this was in place everthing started working a ok !Im now doing zero touch deployments no problem!

Thanks for you replies .

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

I have a same problem but when I hit F8 I can run ipconfig /all and everything seems okay. It has a network driver / It has an IP Address / I can map network drives using net use and all seems fine.

But it still restarts soon as the "Prepearing Network Connections" comes up. Obviously it will stay on whilst I am in the CMD but soon as I close the CMD or type exit and it enter the machine will restart. Not sure where to go from here as most posts are saying about drivers but I'm not sure as I am getting network connectivity.

I have managed to get the smsts.log

Kind Regards

Kye

smsts.log

I forgot to mention:

I am running:

Srv 2008 R2 SP1 DC

SQL 2008 R2 SP1

SCCM 2012 R2

I have rebuilt a couple of times from scratch and have had the same issue even when following the guides on how to install.

I have tried whilst using Srv 2012 R2 DC as well as trying with SQL 2012 and so on.

There must be a step or something that is causing the same issue?

Kind Regards

Kye

Hi,

I have a same problem but when I hit F8 I can run ipconfig /all and everything seems okay. It has a network driver / It has an IP Address / I can map network drives using net use and all seems fine.

But it still restarts soon as the "Prepearing Network Connections" comes up. Obviously it will stay on whilst I am in the CMD but soon as I close the CMD or type exit and it enter the machine will restart. Not sure where to go from here as most posts are saying about drivers but I'm not sure as I am getting network connectivity.

I have managed to get the smsts.log

Kind Regards

Kye