spelaben

Client health issue

Hi all, I noticed an issue concerning the client health in our SCCM 2012 R2 environment.

There are about 600 SCCM clients in our hierarchy, today I realized that about 40 of them don't have the "installed flag" any more (installed = no). The client was installed before because I could still access the hardware inventory etc. with the ressource explorer. The heartbeat interval is set to 7 days and the clear install flag interval is set to the maximum of 40 days.

Earlier this day I had the chance to take a look at two of those clients and both had the same symptoms:

- The SMS Agent Host service was just gone (as in it wasn't visible in services.msc any longer).

- The site code, all the client actions etc. were gone from the Configuration Manager console in the control panel.

- The eventviewer was spammed with WMI (event id: 63) warnings which appeared to be related to the SCCM client.

- ccmsetup.exe /uninstall and a manual install / client push install didn't work to remove or to reinstall the client. The uninstall just started a rollback after a while and the installation gave me a return value '3' in the ccmsetup.log

What I finally did to resolve the issue was to delete the folder C:\Windows\CCM and to empty the folder C:\Windows\ccmsetup because I couldn't delete the whole folder and then start a client push installation again.

My questions are:

- How did this happen?

- What can I do to fix this error on all clients which have this problem without the need to connect to every system manually and repeat the above steps?

- What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks in advance guys!

Best regards

Hi Spelaben,

Are there any logs located in the C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs folder of the affected (but not fixed) systems? Perhaps the ccmsetup.log, client.msi.log and client.msi_uninstall.log's might should why it was uninstalled, or at the very least when.

Cheers,
Hynesy

Sounds like you are having the same issue I am with the clients trying to repair themselves even though they shouldn't need to.

check your CCMRepair log file and you should see that it is erroring out over and over again.

1217pyv.jpg

What I have to do for this is end the process for CCMRepair and CCMSetup as well as any MSIEXEC ones.

Kick off a C:\Windows\CCMSETUP\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall to uninstall the client.

Once the CCMSetup process ends I then delete the CCM and CCMSETUP folders that are left on C:\windows.

Then I do another client push to the machine to re-install the client onto it.

The machines seem to be able to pull policies afterward but some of them then come back a few weeks later with the same issue again. I'm not sure if this is because of me being CU5 of SP1 or not but its been frustraiting for me to constantly be uninstall/re-installing clients.

• Like 1