xc3ss1v3

Failed to retrieve policies during OSD

Good morning folks.

I've ran into an issue that I first thought would be simple (seen it before, kind of), but has grown into a larger issue. In a remote office, an IT Point of contact tried to re-image a machine and got a failure in WinPE while the system was looking for available task sequences. I've seen this happen before and it's typically because either the machine isn't in a proper group/task sequences not advertised properly or the client machine's date and time are way out of sync. Unfortunately neither was the case. Where it grew into a larger problem is that 3 other office in different locations are all experiencing the same error.

That got me thinking, "network problems." I've worked with our operations team to ensure that any blocked/dropped traffic was being allowed through. They have now verified that there is nothing but accepted traffic between the client and the management point. So now, back to square one.

For setup, the ITPOC's are using a network boot image on a bootable thumb drive. I can see in the smsts.log that there is successful communication between the client and management point just before the errors occur (see below).

Is there a log that records policy requests for OSD? Any other troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

post-20332-0-97600000-1440082068_thumb.png

post-20332-0-88485100-1440082068_thumb.png