BzowK

Remote configuration Failed on Remote WSUS Server

Good Afternoon Guys / Niall -

I recently rebuild our SCCM environment and it is currently at 2012 R2 SP1 CU3. The design (which I didn't create) called for the WSUS server to be a separate server. When I deploy the SUP role to it and schedule an initial sync, it does not work. Below are some environment details, errors / logs, and what I've tried so far.

Environment Details

• SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU3
  • x5 Separate Site Servers: Primary, x2 Secondaries (off-site), Database, & WSUS
  • All Site Servers run Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Database: SQL 2014
  • WSUS uses it's own SQL instance - not WID
  • All site servers have full control of Systems Management Container
  • All Site Servers are in a single security group which are set as local admins on each server
Errors / Logs

After deploying the SUP role, I get the following in wsyncmgr.log and WCM.log

SCCM Console Status Messages

• WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS Server "PrimaryFQDN".
  • WSUS Configuration Manager will not be able to configure WSUS Server "PrimaryFQDN" as the WSUS Server remoting API's of version 3.0 SP2 or greater are not installed on this site server.Solution: WSUS Server configuration on the WSUS Site System requires WSUS Server remoting API of version 3.0 SP2 or greater to be installed on the site server. To install the remoting API for version 3.0 SP2 run "WSUSSetup.exe console_install=1" on the site server or refer to the documentation.

wsyncmgr.log

post-9090-0-67259700-1460401395.png

WCM.log

post-9090-0-88132500-1460401408.png

What I've Tried to Resolve

• Uninstalling SUP role, had new DB instance created, and returned WSUS server back to snapshot taken after it was initially built. Reinstalled all from beginning. (Tried this a few times) No go
  • Verified that credentials were all correct
  • Verified that I could visit http://wsusserver:8530- I could and received blank page - no error, though
  • Tried installing pre-reqs manually (.NET 3.5, .Net 4.5, & IIS with default features)
  • Heard that even though remote WSUS server, should have WSUS console / services installed on Primary, too. Never heard of that, but then again never used a remote SUP server. Trying that now.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have wsus console installed in the SCCM Server?! that's a requirement... I had that error a couple of years ago and I just had to install the CONSOLE (not the service). There is a powershell command for that. Hope it works!