Andy Turner

XP SP3 BSOD after OS install with TS

Question

I captured an xp image using MS Virtual PC and a Capture Media that I created. Then used that image to create a task sequence that I have advertised to all Unknown computers. When I run the TS on my nw8240 everything seems to run correctly as far as installing drivers, partitioning the disk, and installing XP but when the laptop reboot I get a BSOD when Windows tries to load and the it just reboots again.

Am I missing a driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Sounds like a driver issue (SCSI,SATA, etc)

I would agree with the hard drive controller driver, I went through this when I was getting Win XP moved over to SCCM and for me it was the AHCI drivers. I had to force each AHCI driver in similar to what was done in this thread.... http://usjensen.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/how-i-handle-boot-critical-drivers-mass-storage-drivers-for-windows-xp-in-configmgr-os-deployment/ You may also find that the HAL is different on the VM you are using when compared to the HAL on the machines you are trying to deploy to. I use a VM for Vista and Windows 7 but for XP I use an old laptop with a ACPI HAL and use this for my image with the AHCI drivers forced in through the Task Sequence. Your blue-screens may be from the AHCI drivers or the HAL type at a guess.