Dogpatch

Feel Like I'm Missing Something Here

Question

I have been working with MDT 2010 since January and my only training has been information I put together from the internet. So I'm pretty sure I am missing something. My process so far has been simple.

I create a Core Deployment share. This is what all my images are built from. Then I add my apps, OS, packages (if any), and drivers. Then I configure my TS with a Standard Client Task Sequence adding in the app installations, custom scripts, ect. I then link that to a new deployment share named for the current build and replicate. Once that is done I make media (usually a bootable usb) and install that on the user's PCs.

I have not been using SCCM because one I don’t understand it completely and two I don’t have the recourses. I have just recently been deploying an image to a vm to set some configurations then capture a custom image for deployment. But I can’t seem to get the settings from my config account to transfer over to the default account.

I don't know I feel like I'm all over the place here. If anyone reads and understands this let me know what you think. Or if you know a start to finish guide for deploying windows seven point me that way. Most of the stuff I have read seem to center around SCCM. Anyway thanks for listening :)

2 answers to this question

I don't know if this will help, but here's what I did.

I installed Windows 7 on a test PC.

Then i rebooted that PC and logged in under the "audit"

I made some specific config changes (added windows programs, removed some. configured other items, set the admin password)

After that I captured my image and put it on the deployment share.

When I started up my deployment share, I made sure to add the Operating System full set of files to the directory as well as the WIM i created. This helped when i used the WAIK to edit the config file.

Then i just added the OS to the Task Sequence.

I assume you're using MDT 2010. I am too. But I'm also using SCCM in our environment. So i have a little background in that which helped me.