DaveP

Application Catalog - Cannot connect to the application server.

Question

So I've been working on this problem for the last three days or so and if there's a thread out there I haven't yet read on the issue then I'd be surprised. So I thought I'd try here to see if anyone could help.

From all the logs I've looked in I'm unable to find a problem. Everything looks to have installed correctly. The bindings and connection strings look good. Uninstall/Reinstalling roles and features yields no results. I did notice something a little 'off' in my Site properties under the 'Ports' tab. For 'Active Ports' I see that 'Client Requests-HTTP (TCP)' and HTTPS is listed twice. Only one pair is checked and set to the default ports. The other pair is unchecked and has no assigned port numbers. Assigning the same port number to unchecked ports goes unsaved.

Anyone else see this before?

7 answers to this question

Only one pair is checked and set to the default ports

Looking at some sites this must be normal behaviour on the ports tab.

Is the app catalog site components not throwing up any errors? (view the messages) Could be a feature that needs to be installed or it installed unsuccessfully.

Do you have the agent configured for the app catalog? (dont think this is the problem)

Looking at some sites this must be normal behaviour on the ports tab.

Is the app catalog site components not throwing up any errors? (view the messages) Could be a feature that needs to be installed or it installed unsuccessfully.

Do you have the agent configured for the app catalog? (dont think this is the problem)

SMS_PORTAL_WEB_CONTROL_MANAGER is only showing one log entry in the last twenty four hours. Message ID 500 - "This component has started", and I'm seeing a lot of 1015's when going back further.

SMSAWEBSVCSetup.log shows WCF and IIS is activated and installed. Also shows that the installation of SMSAWEBSVC was successful.

SMSPORTALWEB.log is looking almost identical to SMSAWEBSVCSetup.log. I'm seeing a lot of the same success messages. No error messages.

awebsvcmsi.log is showing "Product: Application Web Service -- Installation operation completed successfully", and "Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Application Web Service. Product Version: 5.00.7804.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0."

portalwebmsi.log looks almost identical to awebsvcmsi.log.

I have the agent set to automatically detect the application catalog website point under default settings.

I removed both application roles, renamed the CMApplicationCatalog and CMApplicationCatalogSvc folders so they'd regnerate when adding the roles back. Made sure I ran the -i -enable commands for aspnet_regiis.exe in the Framework64 folder for both v2.0 and 4.0. I ran the the .NET Framework veification tool and successfully discovered 3.5 and 4.0. I added the application roles back using all the default settings for http. After the CMApplicationCatalog and CMApplicationCatalogSvc directories generated I browsed the application catalog and it's still giving me the same 'Cannot connect to application server' error. The only thing I can think of is that there's an issue with .NET Framework somewhere. Removing and re-adding the 3.5 features last time did nothing to solve my problem. So either I need to use the .NET Removal tool and install the standalone packages or try running a repair on 4.0. I attempted to do this with the .NET repair tool, but it failed, so I have my suspicions. I'll try and run a repair on it through add/remove programs and keep my fingers crossed.

Repairing the .NET Framework 4.0 yielded a new error when accessing the application catalog. I was getting prompted for a username and password each time and eventually would get a 401.1 permissions error. Only way I knew how to fix it was to remove and re-add the roles again and I'm back to where I started with the catalog unable to connect to the application server.