Jeroen van Geem

Setting Computername issue

Dear all,

I am currently in the process of transfering our current deployment platform to SCCM and am now stumbling accross an issues I dont seem to be able to solve by myself.

Server name not set
We set the OSDComputerName variable during the HTA processing and have this variable in our sysprep file. For some kind of reason -while this variable is confirmed existing (I have a small vb script that allows me to dump all variables in a txt file)- the SCCM task sequence doesn’t change the variable into the computername, but removes the whole “Computername” line. <_<
m9ul8m.jpg
The end result is an auto generated computername.
Attached our Autounattendvariables.xml and the unattended.xml file SCCM finally uses (was able to recover it before the systems reboots and deletes the file).
Note
After adding a 'Apply Windows Settings' task sequence the computername does work. However, the User name, Organization name and local administrator settings are overwriting the settings already in my unattended file. The time zone setting in the unattended file however doesnt get overwritten by the setting in the task sequence.
So not consistent behaviour in any way... :blink:
Task sequence screenshot (after adding 'Apply Windows Settings'):
14y729d.png
Is there someone out here who can bring light into the darkness? :)
Regards,
Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

I had a similar problem with setting the variables during the task sequence, and I ended up not setting the variables this way, but setting them in collection variables instead. For instance (and I know this one isn't going to help your particular issue, but it might give you a direction to look in) I set OSDComputername as blank on the All Unknown Computers collection so that any new pc's we build we are asked for a computer name (due to the nature of our naming convention it just makes life easier as we are not a huge organisation).

I was wondering if perhaps setting the variables for the organisation etc as collection variables, and then inputting the variable into the field in the TS might get around it?

Hi,

Our organisation is pretty big and after we fill in the computername in the HTA form a cvs file is queried where based on the computername other variables are being created.

So unfortunately we are in no position to use collection variables.

When you were running into similar issues, what exactly did you encounter and what did you tried to resolve it?

My workaround will be something like:

• Keep the "Apply windows settings" task sequence
  • Fill in User name, Organization name and set the default password in that task sequence and removing these conflicting entries from the sysprep file

However, I just want to know what is happening in the background and why it doesnt work like its supposed to do. :huh:

I was having a similar issue with regards to setting system language etc, these were being set in the unattend.xml and then being overwritten once the windows settings were applied.

We don't set the password in the task sequence any more, for workgroup machines we set up a specific image with the users necessary (non-domain machines tend to be a rarity for us and generally for events and have specific requirements so this works well), and for domain machines the local admin password is set by group policy.

I tried using with and without MDT but I was getting the same results, so now we fill in the User Name and Organization in the TS, as you've suggested.