elnk1star

IE 11 deployment options?

I’m in the process of deploying IE 11 to our company and I’m running into an issue with the installation that has made the success of the deployment very hit and miss- see thread https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/085a1735-9833-49d6-9e6b-6a82d147871e/internet-explorer-11-fails-to-install for details.

So I’ve been using the “fix” mentioned in this thread to install IE 11 and so far has been successful. What I want to do now, is figure out a way that I can deploy IE 11 using this fix.

From what I’ve read, SCCM’s software updates option can’t be customized (ie, can’t add a batch file) and I’ve been playing with Task Sequences but haven’t had luck so far. I’ve also tried deploying IE 11 as a regular software distribution package, but reporting is not reliable (shows failure/runtime exceeded even though the installation is successful).

Can anyone suggest a best approach? I would certainly use the software updates route if it wasn’t for the KB issue causing our deployment success to be so unreliable, and it seems that TS is the next best option if I can get it work for this scenario.

Or does anyone know how to fix this KB issue with IE 11 installations to begin with??

Thanks!

I too found the software update route unreliable.

My solution was the task sequence. Download all the ie11 pre reqs (theres about 7 or 8 KBs). Be sure to obtain the x86 and x64 versions depending on your clients. Then download the IE11 offline installer (google it)

Create a task sequence to install the KBs (continue on error), restart then install IE.

We were in the same situation trying to use Software Updates, but getting limited success. We logged a cal with Microsoft and they gave us a batch file which used dism to install the pre-requisites before installing IE11.