cstark

Imported Device collection using User collection as limit

Our previous SCCM instance decided that nothing can remain on the primary DP, so since it was still in it's infancy, I exported anything that I could (applications, TS, collections...) and started the migration process.

I now started the import process and apparently the exported collections reference other collection by ID and apparently the imported collections did not get the same ID, so now, I have device collections that are using user collections as the limiting collection (slight flaw in the logic if you ask me). Now, when I try to change the limiting collection, no mater what device collection I choose, it's apparently a circular reference, when I try to delete the collections in question, I get an error of "Mismatched Collection Type: {DeviceCollectionID} -> {UserCollectionID}". I'm officially stuck.

Currently, we are at the 1511 release, the 1602 release is being installed as I type this, so once that is done, maybe they already have a fix for this in there, so I'll give it a shot once the upgrade is complete.

Is there a magical command I can run to just tell SCCM to nuke all my imported collections so I can re-create them manually to get rid of this? We are still only rocking the trial of SCCM as we started using SCCM after we renewed our MS licensing, so if anybody knows of a way that I can contact MS to get support even with a trial license, I would be greatly appreciative.

Edit: 1602 completed install, to no surprise, tried to delete a device collection, got the mismatch collection error. Tried to change limiting collection, got circular reference. Didn't think 1602 would fix this.

Edited by cstark

OK, so I think I dodged a bullet at this point and it appears I got it working again. In case if anybody has this issue or if I don't learn my lesson and I derp this up again, this is what I did to fix it:

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio

2. Find the dbo.Collections_G table and Edit Top 200 Rows (I don't have 200 collections, so I can get away with this, YMMV)

3. In the LimitToCollectionID Column, edit the trouble entries to be the correct ID.

4. Refresh SCCM (click a different workspace or something to cause it to requery)

5. Note the limiting collection is now a new collection :D

There was some more finagling I had to do, but in the end, I am now able to properly manage the collections from within SCCM again.