epoch71

Windows 10 Reference Image Issues

Question

Hi

I'm creating our first Windows 10 reference image.  This is for a small trial deployment in our virtual infrastructure.  We're using 1607 LTSB.

The WIM is created in MDT 2013.

However, I'm experiencing an issue.  After applying the sysprepped WIM to a blank VM it's firing up an OOBE sequence, starting with asking whether I want English US or GB (I want GB ... the en-GB language pack is added during MDT, specified by GUID in the customsettings.ini).

Once the WIM is applied I need to perform some VM specific customisation and optimisation.  So all I want is for the machine to start up and log in with the Administrator account.  I don't want to go through an OOBE, choose a language, create a user etc.  None of that - just log in so I can prepare the VM template.

Clearly I'm going wrong somewhere, in one of the config files (unattend.xml and customsettings.ini attached, with some redactions).  Any help will be gratefully received!

customsettings.ini

unattend.xml

6 answers to this question

First of all what is your use for LTSB? Are you deploying kiosks, bank terminals or POS systems than ok, if not DO NOT USE LTSB.

Second, did you download your ISO from  the myvisualstudio downloads section or somewhere else? You will need to check your unattend.xml and then especially the OOBE section in the XML file. It needs to be something like this:

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>

<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>

<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>

<HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>

<HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>

Cheers! Rens

Hi Rens, thanks for the reply.

I cannot disclose the reasons for LTSB other than to say it's a definite operational requirement.  The ISO was downloaded from VLSC.

Regarding the unattend, all the settings you specify are present, with the exception of NetworkLocation, which is deprecated.

Ok so I removed the language pack from the CS.INI.  So after applying the WIM I'm not prompted to choose a language, meaning Windows will be en-US which is not what I want.  It's still firing up OOBE though, which is not what I want.  This doesn't happen on my Windows 7 reference image, and the config pass settings are the same.