birz

IE 8 installation issue

Question

Hi,

I have finally deployed Internet Explorer 8 to all Windows XP client (they are all SP3). I ran into some problem though, let me explain.

I have created the package using IEAK, as per guidelines found here, I have then advertised the program to a collection. Although the collection has maintenantce windows actives, I have specified in the advertisment to "ignore maintenance window when running program" and "allow system restart outside maintenance window". I have also setup a mandatory assignment which is "logon". Since the installation needs to be in a user context rather than in the system context I had to do this. Also I didn't want to put the "as soon as possible" mandatory assigment since I don't want the PC to reboot while the user is away from his desk. For some reason it didn't work on some PC. Even after they logon they don't get the software. Furthermore on those computer I found a way to trigger the installation by loging with a test user on the PC. The collection which the software is assigned is all computers objects. Where can I look to troubleshoot this weird issue? I have looked in some of the sccm client logs but without any success. As you'll see in the picture attached I have still 138 computers that don't have the software installed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

post-5003-12742951091408_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

After looking in the execmgr.log (which I think is the most helpful log) I see entries regarding user loging

ie:

-The user has logged off

-A user has logged on

-The logged on user is domain\username

for some reason after a certain time I don't see any entry about the user logging in, I only see "the user has logged off", Since my mandatory assignement is the logon, I think it has to do with this. It's like the logon isn't beeing recorded anymore. How could that happen?

Like I said if I go on that computer and logon with a different user it will trigger the install and I will see the "A user has logged on" in the execmgr.log. Why is the logon isn't getting recorded anymore!?!?

Thanks,