thadkew

DESPERATE for a solution

Question

OK, we had some bad things happen to our server that had the WDS role, MDT and SCCM installed. We restored it from a full backup and got it back running (it had lost it's trust with the DB server and then had lost it's account on the domain. Oh man... It was baaaaaaad).

Anyhow....

The server has WDS installed and configured. I have put a LiteTouch boot image in the boot images and it points to MDT to deploy images via PXE

However, it will not (repeat NOT) boot with that image. It immediately pops up a PXE-T04: access violation error on the client.

Here's the weird thing: When i remove the role, set up WDS (not configured)and add a PXE role on the SCCM, WDS will boot into the SCCM boot image process.

So it's not a network thing (There's no DHCP installed on the server, and the DHCP scope never changed from the original settings before the server went wacko. Scope is set correctly on the VLAN PROMISE!)

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the issue. And neither can Microsoft. I've been on the phone for hours with support (we have premier support with them). They keep pointing to DHCP or maybe it's the WDS isn't configured correctly (Microsoft tech and I configured it together twice).

Any thoughts at all? Can we do something that the support engineers cannot: solve the problem?

I really really need to get this going.

Thanks for any help.

2 answers to this question

Sorry, just to clarify, you want to just use MDT/WDS for litetouch or do you want to use SCCM?

Ignoring all the problems upto now...So we understand you current state.

SCCM Server with MDT and WDS installed

- Enabled PXE Role

- Tested Boot to SCCM BOOT.WIM successfully.

- Without SCCM PXE

- Booting WDS produces access violation error.

general grasp?

Sorry, just to clarify, you want to just use MDT/WDS for litetouch or do you want to use SCCM?

Ignoring all the problems upto now...So we understand you current state.

SCCM Server with MDT and WDS installed

- Enabled PXE Role

- Tested Boot to SCCM BOOT.WIM successfully.

- Without SCCM PXE

- Booting WDS produces access violation error.

general grasp?

Indeed, you are correct.

I am trying to use LiteTouch via MDT and prefer not to use SCCM. For some reason, SCCM isn't as quick as it could be and I've found LiteTouch via MDT works better for our imaging process.