Kevin K

PXE Service Point Option not available

Hey All,

Been lurking for a while and have finally come across an issue that I was not able to find on this site.

I am currently trying to get an environment setup to do OSD and am having some difficult with the PXE service Point. The current environment is setup with a central site server, 2 primary site servers and 2 secondary site servers. Currently, the only server that gives the option of being able to install the PSP is the Central site Server. Ideally, from what ive read here on other posts, that role should be installed on primary and secondary servers only.

My question is, Are there prerequisites that need to be installed on the Primary and secondary hosts to allow for the PSP role to become available for installation? I understand that WDS needs to be installed for PXE to work correctly, but does the lack of WDS being installed remove the option to install the PSP role completely? Are there any roles that, if installed, would prevent the PSP role from being available?

Thanks,

Kevin

The problem most likely is you are trying to add the PXE Service Point from your Central Server, drilling down to the settings on your Secondary Server.

What you need to do is log onto the Primary Server then find the Secondary Server that will host the PXE Service Point role. From there, add the PXE Service Point Role.

Hope this works.

- T.

Hey Kevin,

Good question as I have just come across the same problem - however I've found another article which speaks about this. As of SCCM 2012 Beta 2, the PXE service point is now actually a property of the Distribution Point role. It does not appear to be associated at all with Central/Primary/Secondary sites - I would suggest that that just comes down to what is deemed a best practice.

The following link talks about this in more detail:

PXE Service Point changes in SCCM 2012 Beta 2

Hope this helps you out! B)